A Flower For Miss Ruby (ENGLISH)

Dainty napkins, attempted ladylike conversation, a basket of food, and a bouquet of apple blossoms; these were the things that created the atmosphere for Anne, Diana and Ruby's spring picnic

The three girls had set up a blanket under the Snow Queen and were enjoying the fresh air and sunshine that Spring had brought to Avonlea and Green Gables.

"Mother almost wouldn't let me come," said Diana. "She was worried I might get drunk again!" Her words ended in a giggle.

Anne's face turned slightly red beneath her freckles.

"Oh Diana, you shouldn't speak of that! It was absolutely mortifying!" said Anne in an anguished tone of voice.

"She's right, Diana," said Ruby. "Girls shouldn't get drunk."

"Well I certainly didn't mean to!" said Diana. "But it was sorta funny to see mother's face when it happened!"

"Let's change the subject," said Anne. She hurriedly offering around a bowl of apples.

Ruby took an apple in her hand, and then stared at it.

"Anne . . . " said Ruby, her voice suddenly shaky. "Where did you get these apples?"

Ruby looked up at Anne with blue eyes filled with dismay.

Anne stared down at the apples. "Well . . . I don't know. They were in the cellar. Why?"

Both Anne and Diana looked at Ruby curiously.

Ruby took a deep breath.

"They look just like the apples that grow in Gi-Gi-Gilbert's orchard!" wailed Ruby. And then she started to cry.

"Oh dear!" said Diana. She quickly put an arm around Ruby's shaking shoulders. She looked at Anne with an expression which plead for help.

"Oh no, Ruby, I am terribly sorry!" said Anne looking down at the apples. "Now that I think back on it, Gilbert did give me a sack of apples one day when I brought him his books after school -" Ruby started to cry harder "- I told him I didn't want them, but he insisted! Oh Ruby, I should've been more sensitive! I should've realized you're still upset he's gone and been more careful about which apples I chose!"

Anne stood up, and tossed the apples over her shoulder. They went raining through the air. A couple splattered behind her. Then Anne moved forward to help Diana comfort Ruby.

"There there now, Ruby," said Diana. "Gilbert will be back at some point I'm sure."

"And when he is," said Anne with a small smile. "He'll come running to sweep you off your feet."

Ruby lifted her head from Diana's shoulder to look at Anne.

"Really?" said Ruby with a sniff. "You think so?"

"And even if he doesn't," said Diana. "There are other boys besides Gilbert worth your time!"

Ruby gave Diana a look of disbelief. "Like who?"

"Like . . . Moody!" said Diana.

"Moody?" Wailed Ruby.

"Moody is a very kind boy," said Anne. "And I consider him a friend."

"Yes, but he's not Gilbert!" said Ruby shrilly.

"No, he's not," admitted Anne.

Ruby began searching in the pockets of her apron. "Oh no! I can't find my handkerchief!"

"Marilla is inside, I'm sure she could find you another one," said Anne, pointing towards the house.

"Alright," said Ruby, getting to her feet. "I'll be back."

The still sniffing girl headed around the house and into the front yard of Green Gables.

The Cuthburts hired hand Jerry was crossing the yard at the exact same moment. As soon as Jerry saw Anne's pretty blonde haired friend with the blue eyes, he began brushing hay off his pants, and adjusting his shirt.

But Ruby hardly spared him a glance. When she saw Jerry out of the corner of her eye, she stuck her nose in the air and sped up with every intention of ignoring the dirty hired boy.

She had just placed a boot on the porch of Green Gables when a voice in a French accent said, "Hello Miss Ruby."

Ruby frowned and slowly turned around. Jerry had stopped in his tracks and was addressing her with a wide grin. He had a pitch fork in hand now.

"What do you want Jerry?" Ruby demanded haughtily.

Jerry shook his head.

"Nothing Miss," He tipped his cap. "I was jus' being polite Miss."

"Oh," said Ruby. Then she turned on her heel and disappeared with a flounce of her pink skirts.

Jerry watched her go with a slight smile on his face, then he placed his pitch fork back where he had just picked it up from, and headed around to the back of the barn.

Inside Ruby got a handkerchief from Ms. Cuthburt, then she went back to join Anne and Diana.

The two friends quickly tried to take Ruby's mind off of Gilbert by giving a dramatic performance mostly directed by Anne.

However in the middle of the performance, Anne stopped pulling on her hair as she pretended to be Lady Elaine locked up a tower, and she stared at something behind Ruby.

"What do you want, Jerry?" Anne demanded.

Ruby looked around to see Jerry standing behind her. Ruby frowned at the boy wondering what he could possibly want.

"I have a flower," said Jerry rather shyly, "for Miss Ruby."

Ruby's eyes widened as Jerry presented a single daisy to her.

"Oh," said Ruby in a small voice. She accepted the flower. "Thank you Jerry . . ."

Jerry smiled, looking very proud of himself.

"You're welcome Miss," said Jerry. Then, with a tip of his cap, he was gone.

Ruby stared down at her daisy, still in shock. Never before had a boy made such a romantic gesture towards her . . . Even if it was just a hired hand.

"That was . . . Nice of him," said Ruby, looking up at both Anne and Diana with a perplexed expression.

Both girls were grinning.

"Well Ruby," said Diana. "Looks like someone likes you."

"Likes her?" said Anne. "I think he's madly in love with her!"

"In love?" said Ruby, her eyes widening again.

Anne nodded. Ruby looked at her daisy again.

"Well," said Ruby after a moment of thought, "I suppose his French accent is rather cute."

__________________________

A\N: hey everyone, this is FlittyFleeFly . For some reason I ship these two, even though they only have like one scene together, and Ruby doesn't even talk to him. And I came up with the perfect ship name: Ruberry! What do you guys think about this pairing? #Ruberry