red, gold and green (english)

anne loved christmas

   anne loved christmas. she'd never been able to properly experience christmas before green gables, except when she and some of the other orphanage girls would whisper christmas carols and exchange small gifts.

   she loved everything about christmas. the snow, the crackling fire, the gingerbread, the nativity play, the strong feeling of family. it was an amalgamation of all things beautiful and heavenly.

   this year, diana had suggested something different. a secret santa. everyone would write their names and place them in the hat for someone to pick out. they'd then buy a present for the person whose name was written on the slip of paper. anne had gotten diana's name, and she was going to give diana the best present she'd ever received and the best present of the secret santa gifts. on one of her outings with aunt josephine, anne had explained her plan. they bought all the materials and spent the afternoon crafting.

   three gifts. a gold necklace with a gold cross. a red ribbon with hand-sewn lace trimming. a green candle with a silver wick. she snaked the ribbon around the candle and draped the necklace over it. she placed it in a hand-painted box and wrapped in it thin paper. it was beautiful.

   "here you go josie." said diana as she handed josie pye her gift. it was a notebook with her name written in beautiful gold calligraphy on the front. josie grinned, something she rarely did genuinely. the christmas spirit was evident in even the coldest hearts this season.

   now it was anne's turn. "i picked your name out diana!" she giggled, before passing over the meticulously designed present to her bosom friend. diana unwrapped the gift, careful not to damage it. she smiled so widely when she saw anne's present.

   "oh anne! red, green and gold. i love it so much!" she embraced her friend before placing the necklace around her neck and tying her dark hair with ribbon. anne was so enchanted by seeing her friend's happiness at her gift she didn't hear her name being called.

   "anne? anne, it's my turn." she turned to gilbert, who sat a few seats beside her. there was a small part of her the was glad he was her gifter. if josie pye had been, anne wasn't sure how mean the present would have been. he threw her the gift which she caught with one hand, causing the group to clap. she untied the ribbon, a beautiful gold. inside the box was a locket. she smiled widely. as she opened it, she realised that in the place of a photograph there was a pressed queen anne's lace flower.

"gilbert, this is beautiful. but i can't accept it-"

he waved a hand. "of course you can, it's christmas. now, who picked out my name?" the exchanging of gifts continued until it began to grow dark. gilbert offered to walk anne home, which of course she refused, until she finally gave in

"so...thank you for the locket. i love it." blushed anne when they arrived at green gables. gilbert slowly pulled the golden ribbon from her hand, before gesturing for anne to turn around and tying the red hair up with a bow. they stood awkwardly for a few more seconds until gilbert spoke.

"mistletoe." he said, pointing to the bundle above the door. anne had decided to spruce up green gables for the holidays and the house was decorated in mistletoe and ribbons.

"it's stupid." they said, at the same time.

"some dumb old tradition." smiled gilbert.

"yes." anne laughed nervously. they both reached for the door handle at the same time, electricity running through them as their hands accidently touched.

"um...well...bye anne." he hurriedly kissed her cheek before hopping down the porch steps and walking off into the distance. anne touched the locket that now hung around her neck as she blushed and beamed.

christmas special!
i hope y'all have fun during the holidays celebrating whatever holiday you celebrate

q of the day: what's your favourite moment in anne w/ an e?

-fleur
     ( -flowersanddeath )