Chapter Twenty Three

"We're done!" Draco cheered as he wrapped his arm around Hermione as they were walking out their last exam. She smiled at him. "Yeah we are." She said with as smile as they met up with their friends. "We should party guys." Pansy suggested. Everyone laughed and then Luna spoke "We should have another dance. Just for seventh and eighth years. Some muggle children have these things called prom at the end of their time at school. We should ask Mcgonagall if we can or just plan one without her." She suggested and everyone else agreed. "That's such a good idea. It could be like a leavers party." Pansy suggested. Hermione frowned. "A leavers party? I don't want to leave. This place is my home." She said sadly. Draco squeezed her shoulder in a comforting way and then smiled. "Hey just think, soon we'll have our own home and we'll be able to have fun there. And our honeymoon." He grinned. Hermione shrugged. "Okay."

It had been easier than they thought to convince Mcgonagall to let them have a leavers ball. "I think she's just sad to be seeing us go to be honest." Ron said as he, Harry and Hermione were sat down outside. Harry nodded "Can you believe it thought. After everything we've been though, we're graduating from Hogwarts in three weeks." Harry said almost sounding shocked that it was so soon. Hermione just sat and looked on at the black lake. She didn't notice that she had started crying until Harry looked at her "Hey Mione it's okay. We're all gonna stay friends. I mean I'm not gonna be able to cope with James unless I have my go to line of friends that I can turn to. You guys are gonna be my babysitters." He smiled. Ron shook his head "Not me. Pansy wanted to be the one to tell Hermione but I knew I had to. We're expecting twins." He announced. Hermione's tears turned a gasp as she looked at him "Ron. Oh my god I'm so happy for you guys. You're gonna maybe get Ronnie and Robbie back." She smiled. Ron shook his head "They won't be called that though. We decided to call one of them Fred if we do have boys. We're unsure on the other name." He said with a grin "Pansy has wanted to tell you everyday for the past week Mione." He grinned.

Hermione stood in front of the mirror and looked at her royal blue dress. It was simple but she loved it. It was time for the dinner at Malfoy Manor with Draco's parents. Draco was nervous though. He could sense that something was wrong. He had already tried coming up with excuse after excuse. But none of them so he retreated to 5 year old manners and was sat in the middle of their bedroom with only his boxers on. "What are you doing? We're going to be late." Hermione said while laughing. Draco smiled and looked at her "I'm protesting. I'm not going to move until my father isn't at Malfoy Manor anymore." He said like a child. Hermione knew exactly how to fight it however. "That's a pity. I guess I'll have to go by myself." She smirked as she spoke and that's when Draco jumped up and summoned his clothes.

Draco walked down the pathway in a bad mood. He didn't want to be here and as soon as he and Hermione had apparated there, he wanted to go back to Hogwarts. He was dragging his feet until Hermione told him off and then he walked normally. He was wearing a black suit as he knew his father would want to make this formal and they had of course been instructed in their letters to dress formal. Draco had also decided that everything he did tonight would be about protecting Hermione. His wand was in his inner suit pocket, ready to grab at any moment.

However when they arrived at the door, it seemed happy. Narcissa bounced over to them and embraced them both happily. "How is he?" Draco whispered in her ear while they hugged. "Hard to read." His mother replied fast before she broke away. Draco then looked at Lucius. "Father." He said, shaking his father's hand before taking Hermione's and leading her into the house. "It's cold in here." Hermione mumbled as they walked in. Draco nodded "My father has that effect." He said simply.

The four sat talking. Or more Narcissa spoke with Hermione and Draco while Lucius watched the three of them. Hermione was holding Draco's hand under the table and was happy to see that it was slowly starting to relax. Everything seemed to be going well and when dinner was brought out by the house elves, Hermione was happy to see that Narcissa had stuck to her ways and the house elves looked happy although she did notice Lucius turn his nose up when Hermione thanked the elf for her food. "How is Twinkle at Hogwarts Draco?" Narcissa asked. Draco smiled as he ate. "Really good. She's been very helpful during exams you know. Getting us some food. A certain someone didn't want to leave the quarters." He smiled, looking at Hermione. "I like studying." She smiled happily. Narcissa nodded "Well that's not a bad thing sweetheart you know. It's actually a great thing and I'm sure that both your NEWTs results will show that more than anything." She said before taking a bite of her own food.

After they had finished eating all their food, Narcissa summoned the plates to herself. "I'm going to take these down to the kitchen and then how about we have some drinks. To celebrate?" She asked. Everyone nodded and Hermione got to her feet. "I'm just going to use the restroom." She said before leaving Draco alone with his father. "Draco. Go and get the family best." Lucius ordered. Draco didn't want to fight so he just did what his father asked. He grabbed the bottle of alcohol and looked at it. They always mixed this with a tonic to calm it down as it was quite strong and that's what his father was doing when he returned. Draco passed him the bottle and Lucius filled Hermione's first then Draco's and then moved around the table. As soon as Lucius' back was turned, something came over Draco and he switched his and Hermione's drinks. He didn't know why. It was just a hunch.

Both Hermione and Narcissa returned to the table to continue the talking and have a slice of cake for dessert. Draco watched as Hermione took a sip of the drink and smiled. "Wow this stuff tastes incredible." She smiled, looking down at her glass. "Does it have strawberry in it?" She asked. Narcissa nodded "Yes. It's quite a berry drink. We tone it down though. A full glass of that and you would be on the floor in moments." She chuckled and Hermione laughed along with her. However, Lucius was looking at Hermione confused. Without realising it, Draco lifted his own glass to his lips and drank some of the drink.

As soon as he swallowed, Draco knew something was wrong as he dropped the glass that he had been hold. Both Hermione and Narcissa gasped and Lucius' eyes widened as Draco started to breath heavily. "Draco?" Hermione asked worriedly. "What's happening to him? Is he allergic?" Hermione asked again as she moved to lay him down. Narcissa also ran to her son "No he's drank it before. I don't see ho- Lucius." She snapped as the man who was stepping back into a corner, seeing what he had done. "Hermione get Draco to St Mungos now." She snapped at the girl who just nodded and used her wand to levitate Draco so they could apparate.

As soon as they arrived at St Mungo's, Hermione screamed for help and soon healers came running. "I think he's been poisoned." She said worried and that was when it hit her. "The poison was meant for me." She whispered before following the wizards who now had Draco on a hospital bed.

Narcissa had stormed over to Lucius as soon as Hermione was gone. "WHAT DID YOU DO?" She screamed at him. Narcissa had never really stood up to him or argued with him so for Lucius, seeing his wife this mad, he knew what he had to do. "I poisoned him. It was meant for her. Meant to kill her." He admitted which caused Narcissa to get madder. "You wanted to kill Hermione? The only girl who has ever showed the Draco that I know. I'm sorry Lucius but I have to do this to protect my family. Stupefy." She said as she had her wand pointed at her husband. All before calling Aurors to pick him up and take him straight to Azkaban.  

He did it. Will Lucius have killed his son or will Draco survive? 

Thank you an immense amount. This story hit 50k reads and is already at 53k which considering I didn't think 100 people would read this is just too much to handle. Please don't forget to vote and comment telling me if you're still enjoying this story. 

Also I have some Dramione oneshots on my account that I would quite like you to give a read if you can. Thanks.

Thanks again for the support. 

Love you guys.

-Alex xxx