TWO

*Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep...* I woke up groggily to a heart monitor's beeping. What happened? To Frank Newsbaum? And Don? My vision cleared slowly. I was staring at the hospital's ceiling. I looked around, hit with the realization that I was in the I.C.U. Other than the sad sound of the heart monitor, I heard the beeping of a pager somewhere. Someone was sitting beside my bed, and he didn't wake up when his pager sounded. I looked down to see the same guy who had the scissors in his arm. Wow. I know so much about him. First, he has shiny shoes, which I tripped over and probably made them dull, he's a Mercy Wester, I stole Frank's chart from him, and he's actually capable of performing medicine. I smiled a little. Footsteps could be heard, and they were coming quickly, towards my room. It was a nurse.

  "Uh, Dr. Avery, you need to get back to your patient, there's something wrong with him." She tapped on his shoulder. I shut my eyes and pretended to sleep. Let's hope he never knew I woke up, and the nurse doesn't tell him either. Thoughts lingered in my head. His last name is Avery? As in Harper Avery? Oh my god!

  "Wha-what? Oh, Frank?" He stood up, trying not to make a sound. "I-I'll be right there. Just sit here and watch her." He said. Me? Oh how nice. Maybe he's nice after all... I heard him stop at the door frame. I assumed he was looking back. "Uh, page me if you need anything, or when er- she wakes up." He ran away, and I opened my eyes. So he still doesn't know my name. My sternum and ribs were throbbing with pain, and the nurse gave me a little bit of morphine to ease the pain.

  "He's worried about you, you know." The nurse told me as she checked her pager.

  "Yeah, right, he just wants to get dibs on surgery if I ever need one." I rolled my eyes, which made my head hurt. "So how long was I out?"

  "Well, Dr. Avery spent an hour trying to resuscitate you-" I cut her off by sitting up straight, all out of shock.

  "Wait, an hour?! He should have given up! Or let someone else work on me." I pointed out. The nurse pushed me back so I was back to lying on the bed in the semi-sitting position.

  "When Dr. Webber and Dr. Hunt tried to interfere, he said something about you being the person from Seattle Grace he has known the longest. He says he thought of you as possibly a friend." She mumbled.

  "Oh." I stifled a laugh. "Anyways, you can go tell him I've woken up, and go help him, I bet he's gonna need help, whatever he's doing." I dismissed my nurse. Soon after, Dr. Bailey came in with some residents and interns. "Hello, doctor Bailey." I greeted her.

  "Did I not teach you and the others correctly? As soon as you become residents, you begin harming yourselves!" Bailey frowned.

  "I'm a third-year resident, and you taught me correctly, so can I work again?" I asked with boredom poking at my voice.

  "Not right now, you aren't a resident." Bailey sighed. "So who's presenting?"

  "Me." An intern from Mercy West mumbled shyly. "Uh, June Kylie Shepherd, 23, was admitted just a few hours ago due to an accidental injection of one dose of epinephrine. Her heart failed for an hour seconds after the dosage, and after resuscitation she coded twice."

  "So why am I in the I.C.U.? I'm done coding. It's been like five hours since my last code." I reasoned.

  "Well, Dr. Avery insisted we move you to the I.C.U. just in case." The cute girl from before, the one who was friends with the snotty redhead mentioned.

  "Who are you?" I asked. "You're a third year, right?"

  "Yeah, I'm April Kepner." She smiled brightly.