40: parties

I walked into school with Hayes. Everyone was staring at us same as yesterday. Angela wasn't bothering us today which was great! I made it almost all the way to the end of the day without any trouble. In seventh hour, Angela and her group cornered me in the hallway.
   "Can I talk to you?"
  She asked in a hushed tone. She seemed a little upset and it was almost as I she didn't want to ruin my life for a minute. She lead me to the bathroom.
   "Scram!"
  She yelled at two girls who were touching up their makeup in the mirrors. We sat down on top of our bags.
   "Look.. I'm... Sorry. For being so mean to you yesterday. I shouldn't have done that. Maybe we can be friends?"
  She said quietly. I nodded.
    "It's okay I understand why you did it. Of course we can be friends."
  I said smiling. She reached over and hugged me.
   "Do you want to hang out tonight?"
  She asked excitedly. I was so confused as to why she apologized to me.
   "Sure."
I said with a small giggle. We exchanged phone numbers and I went on my way. Once school was over, I went to Hayes' car. He wasn't there yet so I stood next to it and waited. I saw him walking out with Angela. They were talking about something and they were both smiling. I still don't trust her completely but I do trust Hayes. They got to the car and Hayes gave me a kiss on the cheek.
   "So I'll see you tonight?"
  She asked looking at me and smiling.  
    "Yep!"
I said smiling back at her. I got in the car with Hayes and he started it.
  "So what were you talking about?"
   I asked confused.
   "She told me that she talked to you and asked you to hangout with her tonight. I'm proud of her for apologizing to you but I have no clue why she did."
  He said pulling out of the parking lot.
    "Oh. I thought you talked to her or something."
  I said. He shook his head no and we drove home. How'd she go from hating me, to wanting to be friends with me? We got home and I got a text from Angela. It said "Hey Shelby! I'm having a party tonight at my house. I was wondering you wanted to come? You can bring Hayes too!"
  I texted her back saying we'd for sure be there and I went to go get ready. It was Friday and since we don't have school tomorrow I decided it would be okay to stay out late. I put on a short, tight fitting sparkly dress that had a low neckline. I put on black heels and curled my hair. I put on my makeup and was ready to go. I walked downstairs and saw Hayes eating some chicken wings.
   "Without me?!"
  I yelled. I ran to him and grabbed one out of his hand and ate it.
   "How are you even gorgeous when you're eating a chicken wing?"
He asked me smiling goofily at me. I shrugged and I blushed a little bit. I finished eating and then I grabbed Hayes' keys and walked out to the car.
   "Get in loser I'm driving."
I yelled. He got in the passenger side laughing.
    "What are you laughing at?"
I asked.
    "You have sauce on your chin."
He said giggling. He pulled a napkin out of the glove box and wiped it off. I have him a kiss and we drove to Angela's.
   "Oh yeah."
  Hayes started before I got out of the car.
    "Did I tell you how gorgeous you look?"
  He asked smiling. I sat back down in my seat and kissed him. I heard a tap on the window. We looked up to see Angela in a tight silk purple dress. Her blonde hair was up in a tight bun.
   "Come on guys! Stop making out and come enjoy the party!"
  She yelled through the window. She was holding her shoes in her hand and she had a drink in her other hand. We got out of the car and followed her inside. She tripped and I grabbed her.
   "I think you've had enough to drink."
Hayes said grabbing her cup and throwing it away. She sighed and sat down on the couch with me.
  "You keep an eye on her. I'll get us some drinks."
Hayes said. He walked into the kitchen. The huge house was packed full of people and the music was blaring.
   "You know Shelby?"
  Angela whispered slouching down on the couch. I looked at her.
   "I want to be more like you. "
She twirled her fingers in my hair.   
    "You have a fiancé and you have really pretty hair."
  She said. I let out a small laugh. Hayes and back with two cups. I took a sip and it burned my throat a little.  
   "What's in this?"
I whispered to Hayes when he sat down next to me.
  "It's my special drink."
  He said smiling.
     "Should I be scared?"
I asked. He giggled. He shook his head no and I took another sip. We sat with Angela for a while before she walked off with one of her friends from her group. Hayes and I went to dance.
   "Okay everyone! Let's play truth or dare!"
  Angela yelled from the corner of the room. The music stopped and everyone sat in a circle on the floor except for the few that didn't want to play or were still in the kitchen.
After a few truths and dares, it was my turn.
"I dare you to... "
Angela looked around the room.
"Kiss... Jeremy."
She pointed to a pretty attractive guy across the room from me. I handed my shoes to the girl next to me and crawled to the middle of the circle. He shyly came over to me. He leaned in and kissed me. I felt his arms wrap around me and we kept kissing. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kept kissing him. I heard footsteps behind me and then Hayes pushed him off of me.
"I think it's time to go"
He said sternly.
"But why?"
I poured. Hayes picked me up and threw me over his shoulder.
"Bye Angela!"
I yelled waving as he walked out of the house.
"Wait!"
I yelled hitting Hayes' back.
"What?"
He snapped.
"Nevermind.."
I whispered. Startled that he snapped at me.
"No. What?"
He asked again.
"My shoes.."
I said quietly. He sat he down on the hood of his car.
"Wait."
He said. He walked back inside. He came back out a moment later with my heels.
"Thank you babyyyy"
I slurred. I reached out to kiss him but he stepped back and I fell off of the car. He picked me up and carried me to my side of the car. He set me down in my seat and closed my door. He got into the drivers seat and sat there for a second gripping the steering wheel.
"Hayes what's wrong?"
I asked pouting.
"Shelby you're drunk. I shouldn't have let you drink. It wouldn't have happened if I wouldn't have let you drink."
He said, still not looking at me.
"Hayes it was just a dare. I'm sorry for kissing him."
I said quietly.
"No Shelby. I saw you. I had to watch you make out with someone that wasn't me. And you enjoyed it."
  He said. He started the car.
     "Hayes you know it was just a dare okay? I love you and I would never love anyone else as much as I love you."
   I said defending myself.
  "Oh really? Because even if I was drunk I could NEVER kiss anyone else but you and actually enjoy it. Shelby I love you. I want to marry you. I want to grow old with you, but I guess you don't love me as much as I love you."
He said. Tears rolled down my cheeks.
"Hayes.."
I started.
"Just don't Shelby. Don't."
He said. He started the car and we drove home in silence.