chapter thirteen | maddie

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I feel my eyes slowly open and my vision begins to focus

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I feel my eyes slowly open and my vision begins to focus. I am unaware of my surroundings. My head throbs. I slowly sit up and screech in pain. My left side feels like it's on fire. I look down to locate where the pain is coming from and see a dark red stain on my shirt. I squint as I lift up my shirt, revealing the biggest gash I have ever seen in my life.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I can't stay here. I have to leave, now. I look around, I know where I am , I'm in my room. I just need to climb out the window. I stand up and everything around me swirls, I go dizzy. I yelp at the pain from my head. I don't remember much of what happened, but I'm pretty sure I can fill in the gaps.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I quietly climb out my window and begin to walk down the street. I don't really know what is happening, or where I'm going but I just keep walking. To where, I have no idea. All of a sudden I find I am walking in a familiar trail, which leads me to a familiar house. I stand in front of the door for a while,  just staring.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I begin to walk towards it and without thinking I knock. Tears form on my eyes as Christi Lukasiak opens the door. Sh gasps, "Madison?" I look up nat her tears rolling down my cheeks and nod.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh my god" she cries, embracing me in a hug, "I knew it was you today." I cry into her shoulder. "What happened to you?" She asks, brushing her hand against my face. "No, wait, come inside first."
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She sits me down on the couch and puts a blanket around me before calling her husband. I'm a mess, tears are everywhere. I see them talking, probably discussing what they're gonna do with me. They come and sit by me. "Look, Madison, we are going to call the police and an ambulance." Christi speaks as she puts a strand of my hair behind my ear. "But first you need to tell us what happened." I sigh and look at them. "Okay" I choke. "But it's a very long story."