On the Run

• Dedicated to Taylor Birchwell

As I run, my legs get goosebumps. The cold, damp air is whipping into my bare skin. Leaves and debris from the wind slice into me. All I feel is pain. In my heart, hands, face. My headache is worse now. All that has happened comes rushing back to me. The fire, the men, everything piles onto my shoulders. I fight the salty tears trying to fall down my cheeks. What's worse is I have no one to turn to. No friends, family, not even the man I love. I'm on the run. A fugitive.

I didn't start out like this. I was once a happy young girl with potential. I had a boyfriend, friends, a home, people I could turn to. Now, all I have is God on my side. Everyone else believes them; the suits have ruined my life.

I hear their footsteps. Hurried, in sync. Completly terrifying. Trying to hide, I run into an antique clock shop. It is dark and the ticking of the clocks soothes me. My pounding heart falls into beat. Something about the rythmic tick, tock, tick of a timepiece is comforting in my times of trouble.

Frantically searching the room, I find a space between a grandfather and cukoo clock. My mind is swirling. I run through all the steps I've learned since childhood.

Step one: RUN

Step two: FIND A PLACE TO HIDE

Step three: FIND FOOD AND WATER...FAST

So far so good.

As a child, my mother would turn on the fire alarm and yell, "Run Isabelle! The suits are coming! Run!" Tears fill my eyes as I remember her. Her curly red hair the color of fire. Pale, freckly skin. Just like me. I sniffle loudly. Then freeze. I sense them. The suits. They found me.