Chapter Four

(Okay so first of all, look how amazing this drawing by Evan-Sam-I-Am-Sen is.
Go check out their art because it's so freaking amazing)

^look it's flower Evan!!!

TRIGGER WARNINGS

The doctors appointment was uneventful. The only result was more medicine and an increase in pointless therapy. Heidi wrote everything down and double checked to make sure she had everything completely correct. They went to the nearby pharmacy to buy more Xanax like the doctor instructed.

They sat in silence, both engulfed in their own thoughts. Evan was pissed that he'd have to be put back on medication and be treated like a freak. Heidi was wondering where her parenting went wrong.

"So, Evan," Heidi said trying to start up a conversation with her son "How was your first day of school?"

"It was fine."

"Anything special happen?"

"You know, the usual. Being beat up by girls who I don't even know, almost dislocating my shoulder..."

"Nah. I, um, made a friend," Evan partially lied. A pretty girl had an interaction with him, but he didn't know if he could count that as a friendship.

"Oh sweety that's wonderful!" His mom said happily. "Tell me about them."

"Well, her name is Veronica and she likes the color blue. Uh, she plays croquet." Evan could feel his impulse to lie start up so he stopped talking abruptly.

"She seems like a lovely girl. Maybe we can invite her over some day for a," she wiggled her eyebrows "date."

"Ugh stop it, mom," Evan said as he felt his face turn red. Sure, Veronica was pretty, but their flowers didn't match up. She couldn't be the one.

The ride quieted down and Heidi pulled into the driveway. Evan got out of the car and went straight to his room, choosing to skip dinner. He opened his laptop and began to type.

Dear Evan Hansen,
Today is going to be a good day and here's why:
A pretty girl talked to you and helped you up. Okay enough of looking on the bright side let's be serious. This year is going to be horrible, just like last year and the year before that. You've been bullied by three girls already and managed to almost dislocate your shoulder. You had to be put back on double the medications and a dramatic increase in therapy. And you got a strange look from Zoe.
Sincerely,
Me.

Evan emailed the letter to Dr. Sherman and closed his laptop. He got into his pajamas and closed his eyes, trying to go to sleep.

Evan had night terrors since his father left. He had scarring images of broken alcohol bottles and his mom being hit. It wasn't a pretty sight to see in the middle of the night. When he was younger, he would take Melatonin to help him ease into sleep, but as he grew older, the Melatonin would disagree with his Xanax and he had to stop taking the sleep medicine.

Tonight was no different. The night terrors kept him awake, sweating in his bed. He tossed and turned, trying to get sleep to come to him. It didn't work. Great, another sleepless night. 

He awoke to 14 missed texts from Jared. Apparently he'd found his soulmate: a pretty, blonde, girl named Lauren who had been through many heartbreaks. She was maybe four years his senior and lived in England, but love always finds a way. Evan was more surprised about the fact that Jared was texting him out of all people. Maybe their friendship was salvageable after all.

"Evan I'm so glad you called! I bet you wanna hear about Lauren. She's really hot. I'm gonna send a picture, okay? Look at the tits on that thing!"

"She's not a thing, Jared. She's a human being, not a sex toy. You gotta treat her right" Evan corrected his insecure friend over the phone while he put his homework into his backpack.

"What do you know about girls, Evan? Look, I'm a bit smarter than you and I've seen 12 times the porn you have. She could be a porn star. Now don't you wanna hear about how we met?"

"Uh, I guess..." Evan said, knowing he didn't really have a choice.

"Okay so I read on this website about these crazy cool shoes that all the cool kids wear and I was like, 'well I definitely need a pair of those'. So I go and find these really kinky, red shoes but they don't have my size. So I call up the store and Lauren answers. She tells me she can make a custom pair for me. We start talking more and exchange phone numbers. And then our texting progresses to sexting and I start sending her pictures of my dick, which is pretty impressive if I do say so myself. Like, I don't know, It's very symmetrical and when I get hard it bulges in a very defined shape and--"

"Jared, I don't wanna hear about your penis."

"Ugh fine. Anyway, we start sending each other nudes and ya know that scar I have from the time you accidentally knocked me into the fireplace? The one on my chest? Yeah well she has a flower there. So I ask her to send a full-body nude and all my injuries are flowers on her. Well, from there we knew we were meant to be. She's tryna save enough money to come visit me someday. Wow she is so hot, Evan." Jared said. Evan could tell that Jared had wild sex fantasies with Lauren. But then again, Jared had sex fantasies with everything, including that weird phase in sixth grade where even bathbombs made him hard.
"What about you, Hansen? Have you found 'the one' yet?"

"Nope. Not yet."