1 ✨

arin hanson was so close. he was ahead by a few feet. his breathing grew more frantic at the thought of winning yet another race. just a few more inches and he would win over his rival teammate, barry. arin crossed the finish line, barry seconds behind him. he hated losing, especially to arin. he would get herds of people saying congratulations and hugs from almost everyone. but no one ever said good work to the other runners.

"good job, again." barry patted arin's back.

arin nodded.

barry always wondered why the other boy never spoke. maybe he has spoken just never to him. barry walked over to a nearby bench. he put right leg on top of it started streching. from a distance he saw someone walk up to arin. he had never seen this person before but he looked nice.

the person was giving arin a water bottle and what barry assumed was a backpack. the two walked towards the locker rooms, leaving the rest of the team on the field.

"how was practice arin?" his friend, ross, asked quietly. the brunette shrugged.

"i saw you out there man, looked like you were enjoying your win." arin shrugged again.

"you must be real tired." and then he nodded. ross watched his friend grab clean clothes from his gym bag and walk over to a secluded corner since there was no one else in the room.

"are you ready buddy? i gotta meet some dude for a project in a few." arin came back to his friend who was leaning next to his locker.

"you look cute, trying to impress someone?" ross smirked. arin rolled his eyes. he was wearing black shorts with knee high baby pink socks. his black converse and navy blue sweater bringing the color of his socks out more.

"you sure? you only wear those socks when you wanna flirt." arin shoved ross back.

"i'm kidding!" he laughed, "but if there is someone, bring them my way so we can have a little talk." ross grabbed his friends gym bag and slung it over his shoulder.

dan was sitting under a tree. he was counting the cigarettes he had left lying around in his bag and ended up with 6. they were crushed a bit but he didn't care. he tried lighting one up, cupping one hand around the cigarette so the wind won't interfere. he got sparks from his lighter but it wasn't enough.

dan sighed.

"hey, danny right?" a brown haired dude with an accent came up in a cautious manner. dan looked behind him and saw him.

Of course he's here.

"uh, yeah. that's me." he got up from the ground, seeing he was slightly taller than both boys.

"cool, well i'm ross and this is my friend arin. he's gonna ride with us, i'm taking him home." arin smiled and waved.

"nice to meet you." he signed. dan looked at ross confused.

"oh, right. um, he's a mute which means he doesn't talk. he uses sign language to communicate. all he said was nice to meet you."

danny blushed. he felt stupid for some reason.

"oh, nice to meet you too." dan smiled, extending his arm out to shake arin's hand.

"well, if we want to finish this stupid project we should start leavi-"

"sorry to interrupt ross but, do you got a light?" dan blushed again. he felt needy for wanting to light his cigarette so badly. it was a bad habit yes, but he needed it to get through periods of time where he started feeling anxious. ross nodded however. he saw arin frown a bit, not expecting for dan to be the kind to smoke.