5✨

a/n: surprise! 💫

dan knew that today was the day arin had track practice. he was so giddy to finally, actually, hang out with him. he sat on the bleachers where he saw arin and a few others stretching their legs and arms.

he heard a whistle from far away. must be the coach telling them what to do. danny had no idea what was going on but he got a general idea when they were paired up. arin was with a girl way shorter than him. she must have been new, he was sure he hadn't seen her before.

ten minutes had passed and danny was getting bored. running wasn't all that interesting. what was he expecting though? it was almost over, however. he really just wanted to see arin.

×

"i saw you out there, i didn't know you could run that fast." was that the right thing to say?

"thanks dan."  the other boy wrote down. dan smiled. after practice had ended they both decided to get some food. so here they are at denny's, waiting for their food to come.

"how did you get into track? i never liked running, like at all."

"i don't know, i guess i liked the thought of being fast."

the tall boy watched as arin wrote down his response. he had beautiful handwriting.

"plus i've always been competitive so running was the ultimate thing for me."

danny giggled. "that's awesome. you're like, the best runner on the team. if they lost you then the whole team would crumble." he took a sip from his water. the brunette smiled to himself when he saw the other boy blush. maybe he's starting warm up to the idea of being friends.

he suddenly stopped smiling. arin became uncomfortable, like he was trying to say something. dan handed arin the paper and pen back.

"look, i wanted to say i'm sorry. for those texts last night." he slid the paper back.

"uh, you said it was a joke, right? it's no big deal, really. it was me who shouldn't have said that. i guess I was really high. forget i even said that." danny barfed those words out too fast. he panicked. he didn't want the other boy to think he needed help or anything.

"you're okay though? you're better?"

"i'm not completely better, but i'm alright."

"i'm still sorry, i didn't think it was that fresh for you."

dan felt something in his chest. it was like, a mixture of admiration and anger.

did he really care about me?

who does he think he is? acting like he hates me but asks me if I need help?

he cares for me, right?

"can, uh, can we not talk about this anymore? it's not like you cared about my well-being before this anyways."

what are you doing dan! you're so selfish!

×

both boys ended up at a park. well it was more of a mini forest than a park, but that works. they were walking slow, their stomachs full from all that denny's. arin had taken his phone out to take pictures of the trees and the sky,and also to type anything he wanted to say to dan.

"look at the trees danny! omg i fucking love this place!" he had handed dan the phone, pointing and gasping as the leaves swirled with the wind. wow, i guess arin really loved nature.

ugh

this boy was going to be the death of him. he was so confusing. one minute he's acting like he hates his guts and wants him gone, and the other minute it's like they've been friends forever. what was dan going to do?

"yes i see that arin, oh, be careful! it's slippery over there! arin!"

he was like a little kid and it was adorable.

"don't wander off too much, i don't want you dying or getting lost." arin rolled his eyes. he snatched his phone from dan's hands.

"you don't know what fun is, grandpa."

"i'm a year older than you!"

he rolled his eyes again, throwing a fistful of leaves into danny's face.

×

it was the end of the day. the sky was dark and the air got chillier. dan had insisted in walking arin home as he didn't want anything to happen to him.

"this was fun. did you think this was fun?" he hoped arin would say yes.

he nodded. the smile on his face grew larger when he saw dan's smile.

"yes!" he threw his hands in the air. "does this mean we're friends?" dan elbowed arin's side.

he nodded again which caused dan to cheer again.

"i'm so happy." dan smiled.

they walked in silence for a couple more minutes until a gust of wind came out of nowhere. arin visibly shivered, his arms immediately trying to cover himself.

the tall boy watched as he tried to come up with a way to fix this.

he got it! i mean, friends are supposed to help other friends right?

"here." arin turned towards dan. he was holding out his leather jacket. he shook his head, trying to say that he was okay and didn't need it, but instead dan put his jacket around the other boys shoulders. that jacket was surprisingly warm. arin snuggled himself more into it. danny's scent was making him feel oddly comfortable. he smelled like smoke and cologne, such a manly scent, arin thought.

they got to the smaller boys house. arin was super tired from running around the trees.

"hey, so, I'll see you tomorrow?"

he nodded.

"good, and if you want you can keep my jacket till then."

he nodded again.

they starred at eachother for a few seconds, just looking into eachothers eyes.

then without thinking danny leaned in, kissing arin on the forehead.

"goodnight, sleep tight." he blushed, not even waiting for a reaction, he turned to walk away. dan heard the door close but he didn't look back to see if the boy had closed it or not. he shook his head.

what was he thinking?