Nightmares

Ja'far

"Are you really going to spend the rest of the night finishing paperwork?" (Y/n) stares down at me, her face and clothes clean from soot and powder. "Yeah. I'm pretty sure that Sin won't complete it, considering how much he drank tonight," I say. She picks up a stack of papers, the ones that are easiest to complete and mostly only need to be read, and sits on the floor next to my table.

I sigh. I know what she's going to do. She did say that she'd keep working as long as I did. But after a few minutes, her breathing fades into a slow, regular rhythm. I smile. She must be really tired.

Carefully, I take the papers out of her hands and continue working.

An hour later, I get up and stretch. Finally! All that paperwork's done.

"Argh!" My eyes widen when I see (y/n) squirming in her sleep, small screams escaping her mouth every few seconds. Her eyelids fly open and she sits up, breathing hard.

Her bleary eyes meet mine, widening for a second when she realises what I just saw.

She turns away abruptly. "Um, (y/n)..." I begin. "I apologise for bothering you," she says, her voice firm and emotionless. I place a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm done working. You can go back to sleep in your room."

"I don't want to...go back to my room," she says, her voice softening. "Uh... do you want to stay here?" I ask. She hesitates before nodding silently.

She hugs her knees and falls asleep again after a minute. I grab a blanket and wrap it around her before dozing off myself. Sure enough, she starts squirming in her sleep a few times during the night. But every time it happens, I put my hand on her shoulder until she goes back to sleep.

This little routine repeats itself until early in the morning, when we are both woken up by the sound of the door slamming open.