7. Left in The Dark

7. Left in The Dark

_______________

I had no idea what I was doing, honestly.

I felt helpless. There was no clear way to go about the situation. Ever since the night at the cemetery I'd been on edge. It was Friday today, four days since then.

It was early afternoon, school was out. I laid in my bed, lost in deep thought. I wanted to reach out to Kevin again, but I wasn't sure what would even come from doing it. Yes, we needed to figure it out together, but if he'd come up with anything himself or wanted to talk to me he'd have done it by now.

Then again, he'd have no choice but to tell me the full truth, right? If he learned that I was being targeted, he'd come forward for sure. I needed to know what he was keeping from me. About where he is, the body, mom and dad, all of it! I couldn't risk being in the dark anymore.

I sat up in bed, pulling out my phone and sent him a text.

After hitting send I took a deep breath. I was scared. Truthfully I hadn't even been getting much sleep in these past four days. I was always up, late at night, watching. Listening. Trying to catch anything that seemed out of the ordinary. Paranoia had made itself at home within me. I felt like I was being watched. I obviously had been being watched, how else would Kevin's killer know I was at the cemetery?

Here I was, putting myself in danger and I couldn't even ask anyone for help. It was driving me crazy.

A knock at my door startled me out of my thoughts.

"Come in."

The door opened and Raymond peeked his head inside.

"Hey, kid," he said with his charming smile that he'd always brag was a lady magnet.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Uh, your dad and I are gonna head down to the brew later for some guy time since Mariana's at work all day. Wanna come with?"

"Um... Sure, what time?"

Raymond shrugged. "Around seven or eight probably. Why, you don't have other plans, do you?"

"Actually, I've got a date with Sayora at eight."

A look of amusement appeared on his face. "Still crushing on her, huh? I thought you broke up with her."

"Well, yeah but that was because of the whole Kevin thing," I said. "We're starting over now that some time has passed."

"Well, that's good for you," he said. "I wish you two the best."

"Thanks."

"We can go out earlier," Raymond offered. "Around four o'clock sound good to you?"

I nodded. "That's fine."

I hadn't spoken much to Raymond since I'd overheard his exchange of words with Mom. Mainly because most of the time I was in my room. But partly because I wanted to avoid him. At least until I was able to put something together. Which I hadn't been able to do since that night anyway, so going out to eat at the brew with he and Dad didn't seem that bad.

Suddenly Raymond's phone went off in his pocket. He dug it out and looked at the caller ID. He made a face that I couldn't quite read.

"Who is it?"

He shot his head up to look at me. "Oh... I--it's nothing, just... A friend of mine."