9. Cornered

*Image of the masked character attached*

9. Cornered

_______________

This couldn't be happening. It made no sense, why go after Travis?

I shoved my phone back into my pocket, trying to calm myself and figure out what my next step should be and I needed to decide fast.

Was calling the police the only option at this point? Another life was now at stake and he had nothing to do with anything.

I had to at least make sure Travis was okay before blowing everything up.

I pulled some money out of my pocket, more than enough to pay our bill, but I couldn't care less. I threw it on the table, stood up from my seat and headed for the door.

"Ricardo?" I heard Sayora's voice from behind me.

Shit. What was I supposed to tell her? I hated that I had to leave. Everything was going so great, and now I was about to abandon her. What possible lie could I come up with?

She was making her way over to me with a look of confusion on her face. "Where are you going?"

My brain couldn't process fast enough. I had too much on the line at the moment and I was feeling overwhelmed.

"I just need to go," I told her. "It's a family emergency."

"What happened?"

"Look, I can't talk now, Say. I have to go. I'm sorry," I said without giving her another chance to respond. I left the restaurant and rushed to my car.

___

I drove to the address that was sent to me on my phone and I pulled up to the house that I saw in the picture. The lights were off now and it made me uneasy.

After getting out my car, I ran up to the front door.

"Travis?!" I called as I knocked frantically. "Travis, you there?!'

I waited a few moments, but there was silence. I immediately began to fear the worst. Was I too late?

"TRAVIS?!" I yelled louder and knocked even harder.

Suddenly I could see from a window that the light turned on in the living room and soon after the front door swung open.

Travis looked disheveled and confused. His hair was a bit messy and I could tell I'd just woken him up.

"Ricardo?" He said. "What are you doing here?"

I actually had no idea what to say. He didn't look hurt or frightened. Maybe a little bit annoyed that some guy from his school that he barely knew had just interrupted his slumber, but otherwise he seemed okay.

I looked around, making sure the masked person wasn't around. I didn't see him. But he'd been here.

"Can I come in?" I asked.

He looked so confused, but nodded.

He stepped aside so that I could come in and closed the door behind me, locking it.