What Happens in Art Class Stays in Art Class

Avril and Iris showed up at Rebecca's house. They knocked on the front door and waited. Arnaldo opened the door and invited them in.

"Hi, girls!" he greeted. Iris could see the resemblance between him and Shawn, sparking flashbacks from the dream she had last night. "Rebecca is upstairs in her room. I think you're exactly what she needs to cheer up. Where's Dahlia?"

"She was unable to make it," Avril quickly responded. Iris was glad she did, because she had no idea how to answer that question. The girls proceeded to Rebecca's bedroom and knocked on her door.

"Come in," she said to them. Avril opened the door and walked in with Iris trailing behind her. Iris shut the door so they could have some privacy.

"What are you guys doing here?" Rebecca asked, closing her laptop. It was rather suspicious in my opinion. The girls walked further into her girly, all pink room and sat on her pink beanbags.

"We came to rescue you from the confines of the bedroom you've turned into a prison," Avril answered. Rebecca turned her pink deskchair around to face the girls. "That's what people in mourning do," she replied. It sounded more like a question, however.

"But, this isn't like you. No matter what happens, you're always able to keep yourself composed and go about your business."

"People change, Avril." Changing the subject, she inquired about Dahlia's whereabouts. "She couldn't come." Uncomfortable with this new topic, Iris averted Rebecca's gaze.

"Does she even care about me? Unbelievable! And how dare she show her face at Justin's funeral."

"She just wanted to pay her respects."

"Respects? What does Dahlia know about respect?"

"Enough about Dahlia, how are you doing?"

Rebecca turned her attention to Iris. "Why are you so quiet?" she asked her. "Came here to just watch me weep?"

"No. I, uh—"

Saving Iris from making Rebecca suspicious, Avril answered on her behalf, saying, "We came here to take you out. You need to go outside, breathe fresh air, and have a little fun."

"Fun? That's not exactly possible at the moment."

"Once we get a couple of Coronas in you, it will be. I heard about a college party in the next city over. We could go there tonight and drink all of our worries away."

"I didn't agree to a party," Iris informed Avril.

"You're 16 years old. Live a little."

"Fine, I'll go," Rebecca agreed.

"Great! We'll meet at my house tonight at 10. You know the drill: tell your parents you're sleeping over at mine," Avril instructed. Whenever the girls planned on having a late night outing, they would tell their parents they were having a sleepover at Avril's house, because Avril's mother was rarely home since she was either working or spending the night with her boyfriend. "Where something tight and short so we can catch the attention of college boys."

Iris did not like the sound of this. She had no problem attending parties, but she did not feel comfortable attending one 25 miles away, especially since there would be a lot of people over the age of 18. Nonetheless, she had every intention of going for Rebecca. Since she didn't drink, she would be the one to supervise the girls.