An Unwelcome Guest & a Welcome Admission

Laying on her stomach with her legs crossed and up in the air, Iris was browsing the internet on her laptop. It'd been a few weeks since she was grounded. She got back her device privileges and was allowed to meet with her friends outside of school again. Once more, things were beginning to feel calm and normal. Avril was somewhat back to her old self, but was being homeschooled. She made up with Dahlia, who was now more focused on school than anything. Rebecca stopped blacklisting the group, but kept her distance, occasionally waving a hand at or sending a smile in Iris' direction when passing by her in the hallways of Paradise High.

Shawn's father, Manuel left Paradise Pines a few days after arriving to the town when Shawn and Karen refused to meet up with him. So, things were going pretty well for them, especially since Karen was able to jumpstart her idea of making the local motel and attractions into a resort. Of course, Linda and several townies weren't ecstatic about the changes ahead, but everyone knew it was exactly what the town needed.

As Iris scrolled through the endless posts in one of her social media feeds, she received a Skype call from Shawn. She promptly answered the call, "Hi Zander." Shawn laughed, pulling his laptop close to his face. It appeared he was also in bed, but laying on his back. "It's funny you mention him, because I've finished the book." He was referring to The Doughty and the Despotic.

"Took you long enough. I finished the book in three days when I first read it. It took you three weeks!"

"Oh, stop complaining! At least I finished it."

"Eeeep!" she screeched with excitement. "Did you love it or did you love it?"

"Gosh, you're such a fangirl." He rolled his eyes.

"Answer the darn question!"

"I must admit, it was really good. The author's interpretation of werewolves is far off from reality, but Zander really resonated with me."

In an I told you so tone of voice, Iris replied, "I did tell you he reminded me of you."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," he droned. "I can't wait for the sequel! Will he and Esmerelda get together? Is his dad dead?"

"There are a lot of speculations about what happened to him, but no one really knows. As for his love life, I ship him and Hendrix."

"Hendrix is just his friend, though."

"So?"

"Hendrix wouldn't even be able to touch Zander without burning or possibly killing him."

"That's what would make their relationship so exciting! They'd be together, but would always have the fact that they can't touch keep them apart."

"I see your point, but Esmerelda is always there for Zander. He can always count on her for—" he abruptly stopped talking once he heard the sound of shattering glass. "Was that sound from my place, or yours?"

"From mine. I think my dad's back. He probably knocked over the vase near the front door accidentally."

"That couldn't have been him. My mom sent me a text 10 minutes ago, saying that she was still at your dad's office going over the plans and possible investors for the resort. Maybe it's your mom." Iris' eyes enlarged. "She's at work," she replied with a shaky voice. Her heart began racing.