That's So Iris

The group of rebellious teenagers were escorted back to Paradise Pines by state troopers. Sadly, having to drive his car back home, Shawn didn't get any sleep like Iris and Avril were able to. Thankfully, the sun was up, keeping him up. They stopped at the sheriff's office since there wasn't a proper precinct for the small, rural town.

Iris looked out the window of the trooper's Jeep and saw that her parents' cars were already parked in front of the office, making her stomach turn. The group stepped out of their vehicles and walked into the office where they found their parents gathered around. "Avril!" Samantha rejoiced. She ran to Avril, pulling her into a tight hug. Iris watched as tears streamed down her freckled face, something Avril inherited from her. Regardless of what happens to me because of what Shawn and I did, this view was well worth it, Iris thought to herself, smiling.

Iris felt her parent's gaze, but averted them as the trooper explained what happened back at the motel. Sheriff Charles invited the teens to sit in front of his desk. Sitting at his deskchair, he asked "How did you two know where to find her?"

Iris quickly answered, "Avril called me from a burner phone and told me where she was."

"Is this true?" he questioned Avril. She didn't know why Iris lied, but she decided to go along with it. She had been planning an escape, anyway. "Yeah. I love Pete—" Samantha gasped. "But, once we ran away together, he changed." Avril lowered her head. "He started talking crazy, saying that we'd go underground and start a village with our offspring. I think he was just afraid of getting caught, so he started to freak out, but I wasn't up for that. I changed my mind and decided to come back home, but he left his car at some junk yard, and I didn't have much money on me." She rose her head and looked back and forth at Iris and Shawn since she was sitting between them. "Calling Iris was my last resort. Thanks to her and Shawn, I was saved from making the biggest mistake of my life."

"Why didn't you call the police instead? He had a gun, he coud have killed them."

"I didn't want him to end up in prison. He doesn't deserve to."

"He's a pedophile!" Samantha argued. If only I was part of their story; I would have taught her the proper term.

"Please remain calm and silent," Sheriff Charles requested. "Avril, you're going to need some counseling. It seems you don't understand the gravity of what's happened to you."

"Say what you want, but I know what he and I have— had was real."

Sheriff Charles sighed and turned his attention to Iris and Shawn. "What possessed you guys to go after her? Why didn't you inform us or your parents?"

"Avril specifically asked for me to get her. I promised her that it would only be me and Shawn since I'd need a ride."

"Is there a reason you're so quiet?" he asked Shawn.

"I was held at gunpoint and drove for five hours. I just want to go to bed and let the fact that I did something so stupid and life threatening sink in another day."

"Very well then. Why don't you kids go home with your parents, and we'll deal with this tomorrow."

The group got up and followed their parents outside.

🌑

Gavin and Linda sat Iris down on their couch, looking down at her with angry eyes. "Is everything you told the Sheriff true?" Linda asked her.

"What reason would I have to lie?" Linda rolled her eyes, unhappy with Iris' tone of voice."Yesterday I asked you to stop searching for Avril and you deliberately disobeyed me."

"You also told me to stay away from Shawn, because I have breasts now," Iris mocked.

"Do you think this is a joke?" Gavin growled. "You could have died!"