Poltergeist

Iris awakened to her phone's ringtone. With droopy eyes, she threw her arm onto the nightstand and felt for her phone. She brought it to her face, waiting for her eyes to adjust to the light. It was Dahlia calling, but Iris was in no mood to discuss her archenemy. She wished for a day when Rebecca would not be the hot topic. She placed her phone back down and turned her body over to face Shawn, who was hopefully still asleep. To her dismay, all that was there was the imprint his body left in the sheets. Iris exhaled deeply as guilt settled in. She was convinced he left because of the way she reacted after he imprinted on her.

There was a knock on her bedroom door, grasping her attention. "Who is it?" she snarled.

"It's me," Linda answered. "It's past one in the afternoon. Are you going to get out of bed anytime soon? I made you beef filled arepas."

"I'm not hungry."

"I'll heat them up for you. Get ready."

"I clearly stated that I'm not hungry!"

"What? I can't hear you." Linda's voice faded as she rushed back downstairs.

Shaking her head, Iris sleepily arose from bed and dragged herself to the window. She pulled the drapes apart and checked the Mendes family's driveway for Shawn's car, which was still parked. It gave her the incentive to get ready so she could go visit him and talk things over. But before she did, she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. During the night she saw a blood spattered face, now she was looking at rosy cheeks and greedy eyes. She slid her hand up her pyjama top, reenacting the way Shawn had touched her. She'd felt such desire before, but never like this. This was the real deal.

🌑

Iris joined Linda in the kitchen to get her brunch. "Thanks." Iris still wasn't hungry, but Linda did not and would never care. "You are very welcome!" They sat down at the island. "How was the dance?"

Iris hoped she wouldn't bring it up. "It was okay."

"Were you crowned homecoming queen?"

"Dad didn't tell you?"

"No, he left early in the morning to meet with potential investors with his girlfriend," she joked.

"Nothing is going on between them," Iris sighed.

"I know that."

"Then why are you always implying that something is. They're just business partners working on a huge project."

"It's not that I don't trust your father; I don't trust Karen. Your dad is very charming. The more time she spends with him, the more she'll fall for him. That's precisely why I don't allow him to hire women that will work closely by him."

"That's sexism!"

"If you don't want divorced parents, I suggest you embrace it."

"What a great lesson to teach your daughter!"

Linda ignored Iris' sarcasm and repeated her question, "Were you crowned homecoming queen?"

"Yeah, but I don't care. It doesn't mean anything."

"Are you kidding me? It means that people adore you! I'm glad they see how lovely you are. I hope you included me in your thank you speech."

"I didn't even give a speech. Like I said, I don't care for the stupid crown."

"Why are you such a sourpuss lately?"