Crocodile Tears

It was a gloomy day in Paradise Pines. Even the sky wept for the loss of Justin Holmes. His family was one of the town's original families, having helped found it. His death marked the end of the bloodline.

Everyone showed up to his funeral, as expected. Rebecca's nuclear family stood near the Holmes family while everyone was gathered around his grave as the priest spoke. Iris and her friends were in awe watching Rebecca cry; until Justin's passing, they had never even seen tears form in her eyes. She used to say she was physically incapable of crying, but the past week proved otherwise.

Iris had not seen or heard from Rebecca throughout the week. All she wanted to do was walk up to her and pull her into her embrace. "Poor thing," she said in a quiet voice.

"We should do something to cheer her up this weekend," Avril replied. Linda shushed the girls. "Be respectful," she demanded.

It was time for everyone to the throw flowers onto Justin's casket. Iris was surprised to see Dahlia do it, and then to see Shawn do it. She hadn't even realized he was attending the funeral until then.

When it came time to lower the casket, that is when Rebecca really broke down. Unable to handle the sight of Justin being lowered 6 feet underground, she took off, running faster than anyone had ever seen her run before. Iris was ready to chase after her, but Linda placed a firm hand on her shoulder, stopping her. "I think she'd rather be alone right now. We'll probably see her at the reception," Linda told Iris.

Once the funeral was over, everyone got into their vehicles and drove to the Holmes estate, excluding Rebecca and her family. Iris had only been there once when Justin threw a house party the previous year. Their home was a massive mansion settled in the middle of a wide stretch of land.

She entered the mansion with her family and joined the other guests in the living area. She spotted Dahlia and Avril and made her way to them.

"Did you see her run away?" she heard Avril ask.

"She was only seeking attention," Dahlia responded.

Iris chimed in. "How can you say that?"

"Those were obviously crocodile tears."

"What's been going on with you lately?" Avril questioned Dahlia.

"Becca doesn't cry. She cries from physical pain, but nothing else. She didn't even cry at her grandparents' funerals. She was clearly only trying to draw attention to herself; that's all she does. She is so self-absorbed that she had to make Justin's funeral all about her."

"The only person who seems to be seeking attention here is you!"

"You wanna keep worshiping Becca? Be my guest, but I'm done with her."

"You guys are like sisters," Iris stated. "What do you mean you're done with her? All summer long, you guys have been acting weirdly toward each other. What's happened? Did Shawn poison your mind with lies about her?"

"What does Shawn have to do with anything?"

"You tell me. You're the one that met up with him after school and gave him your number." Dahlia looked shocked. "He told me about it Tuesday night when he and his mother came over for dinner."

"Becca asked us to stay away from Shawn," Avril reminded Dahlia.

"She didn't ask, she ordered us. The last time I checked, she wasn't my mother. Shawn is a good guy; he's always been."

"Since he moved to this town he's only ever been a pain in our asses," Iris pointed out.

"That's because the only minds that have been poisoned are yours and Avril's. I don't care what Becca says about him, I know the truth."