Chapter Two

Questions whirled around in my head like the water in a bathtub when the plug is pulled, rushing to escape. What did I do to deserve this? Where is Caleb? Who was the girl and why didn't she even try to save me? Should I be angry? Or scared? Or even happy? Suddenly I held the familiar sound of the door slamming and footsteps edging closer to my dark room. Next, I hear a deep rattling cough echo against the dark stone walls. A face appears in front me, it's not the guard, it's an old man.

He has short white hair. His beard is white. His moustache is white. His eyes are cold. He wears a white suit with a white rose stuffed in the pocket. The rose lets out a sweet artificial aroma, blood sits on his lower lip. I know who this is, everyone knows who this is... It's the President of Panem. President Snow.

Snow looks at me, a small sneer on his lips. "Are you scared little girl?" He says. From habit, I open my mouth to reply sarcastically, but no sound comes out. Realisation hits me. I will never speak again.

I shake my head and try to hold back tears. I don't want to look like a little pathetic capitol child. I want to look like I'm strong, and not to break down in tears in front of him. Only fugitives become Avoxes and that must mean that I left the Capitol for a reason, I must have been strong.

"Can you even remember why you're here?" He asks. I shake my head again, trying to some information out of him because the only thing I remember is waking up in a dark room and the dream. "Let me give you a clue. You were an innocent Capitol child one moment, the next, you're a fugitive. A criminal leaving the safe walls of the Capitol to find a life somewhere else. But let me tell you, no one leaves. Escapees are caught. Caught and put to work as a speechless, servant of the Capitol, for the rest of your sad life." With that he gave an evil chuckle, which turned into violent fits of coughing. He raised a white handkerchief to his lips, then slowly pulled it away. Red. The rag was covered in dark red blood. I quickly dart my eyes across the room as he looks up. He must have known I was looking because anger exploded on his face. He stood up and left the room without another word.