7- Mind Warp

"HOT DOG HOT DOG HOT DIGGITY DOG HOT DOG HOT DOG HOT DIGGITY DOG," thousands and millions of little hotdogs sang as they jumped into a pool of lava.

"Jump with us," more whispers overwhelmed me. "Jump with us Clarissa!" the hotdogs' voices surrounding me.

BEEP! BEEP!

I woke up with a gasp as my alarm clock blared loudly in my ear. I looked around and my frantically beating heart reminded me of the scary hotdog nightmare I just had a minute ago.

It was 10 o'clock a.m. This was it. I don't really want to this... What if something goes wrong?! I've only been working for the Agency for one year, but the thought of time travel could scare any Ethereal Code agent.

I smoothed my unruly hair and reluctantly dressed myself in the 1700 London clothes the Agency gave me. It was strange looking and I wasn't used to looking like I ended up in the wrong era.

I looked over at Marshie, who was standing up in his glass box, his whiskers quivering and looking at me with his beady red eyes.

I stroked Marshie, "I'm sorry you can't go with me. I wish you could, but it's safer here for you. Don't try escaping, you're smart, but not THAT smart."

I strode out of my room with my 3-days worth of essentials in a small briefcase I carried.

I entered the E.C. Agency's laboratories. Papers were scattered everywhere and numerous chalkboards were filled with algorithms that were unfamiliar. I scanned the room for any sign of Miss Leona or lab workers.

"Ah Agent Jenkins you're here," a voice from behind me said. I turned around and was relieved to see it was Miss Leona.

I hesitated a little before following her into a darker room that was in a small corner of the laboratory. A giant medieval looking device sat in the middle of the room with hundreds of wirings and metal.

This must be the time machine.

I looked at the alarmingly big digital clock that perched on top of the device with the numbers as "0:00". A chair, which I assumed was for me, was in the middle of the device.

Miss Leona patted the chair and looked at me expectantly. I made my way over and tentatively sat in the chair.

I looked up and found a dozen or so of scientists in the room as well, which I didn't even notice come in. My father was amongst them.

He smiled reassuringly at me. I mean tried smiling reassuringly at me.

I looked away, refusing to see him. The familiar feeling of anger seeping through my veins once again. I'm done playing games with him.

They hooked me up to the wires and put some strange helmet on my head.

"Protocol 1 check and completed," said one of the scientists.

"Protocol 2 check and completed," another voice said as more scientists reported after one another.

I tried to ignore the twisted nerves that I felt in my stomach. Breathe Clarissa. It's just time travel, how hard could it be....right?

Oh god I'm freaking time traveling!!! I could die from this!!

"Sweetie you don't have to do this if you don't want to," my father reached out to me. Was that worry in his voice? I ignored him.

"And we're ready," Miss Leona's voice broke me out of my panicked thoughts.

"Agent Jenkins any last questions before we send you off?" Miss Leona asked, completely ignoring my nervous state.

"Will it hurt?" I asked uncertainly. Wait why did I say that? I sound like a 2-year old!

"I don't know it's up to you," she shrugged and with that I felt an overwhelming pressure on me. I felt dizzy and nauseous.

Black and white spirals were entering my mind and my body felt like it was burning.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I felt my body drifting somewhere. Somewhere I didn't know. My first instinct was to run and my heart was about to tear itself out of my chest.

Suddenly I was thrust forward and I face-planted on hard brick cement. Okay ouch!

I rubbed my aching nose and I slowly looked around. I was in a dark alley way with trash littering the sidewalk. I'M NOT DEAD!! I wanted to jump for joy, kiss the ground, and get on my knees and scream "HALLELUJAH."
The bustling of street noises surrounded me and to my awe, I saw carriages and horses leading them in the street.

People dressed mostly in gray,black, and brown were walking on the ashy sidewalk. They wore top hats and trench coats. I coughed. The air was more polluted here than I thought as I looked at the numerous chimneys releasing puffs of smoke.

My thoughts were interrupted when I felt something moving in my pocket. Alarmed, I reached inside and.... a white furry head popped out.

Marshie??!!

Marshie squeaked and climbed up my arm to nestle himself in my coat's collar. Even though he wasn't supposed to be here, I was really happy to have him.

"Hey miss what are you doing here?! Get out!!" growled an angry store owner as he caught me standing in front of his back door.

"I-uh sorry!!" I yelled and quickly scrambled out of the way.

As I ran out of the alley, I saw many young children in filthy rags stare at me. They had soot covering their faces and they were very frail.

A woman nearby coughed and wheezed as she made her way through the street.

I sighed.

Welcome to the 1800s of London, England.