Chapter 16

I look up from the note and blankly stare at Gessica.

" What does it say?" Gessica asks.

I couldn't speak so I pass the note to Gessica for her to read. After she reads it, she tries to comfort me.

" How are you holding up?" Gessica says.

My mind automatically brings me to my mom. Kinda like this morning. Maybe this is the secret she's been hiding from me. That I have a twin brother. Ugh. The thing is that I don't remember anything. Not even one memory. It was all a complete blur. What if this is a prank that Gilmher is trying to pull on me. I mean all day he's been trying to prank me, maybe this is one of his little schemes. Well, I won't know until I call that number.

" Can you toss me my phone?" I ask Gessica.

" Yeah sure," she says, unplugging it from the charger and handing it to me. " What are you gonna do?"

" I'm gonna call the number," I say as I type in the numbers. Apparently he lives in Los Angeles. Well, according to the area code. I tend to a bit struggle hitting the call button.

" You got this," Gessica encourages me.

I take a deep breath and press call. I regret my life choices already. The phone begins to buzz and eventually someone answers it.

" Hello?" A boy speaks. I believe his name is Zach.

" Put it on speaker," Gessica whispers in my ear.

I grant her command.

" Hi. Um. Is this Zach?" I say as I scrunch up my nose. Seriously? I can't believe those were the first words that came out of my mouth."

" Yeah, it's Zach. Who is this?"

" It's Cassidy. I received your note and I decided to give you a call."

" Oh...Cassidy! It's so great to finally meet you. Well not really meet because we aren't talking in person so it's really more like a device to device type of conversation. So what I think I'm trying to say is that it's great to finally talk to you. I really should've just started with that. I'm sorry." He stutters nearly every single sentence.

" Great introduction," I tease.

" I'm sorry. I don't know why I'm so nervous right now. Oh geez, I think I'm starting to sweat. Why did I say that out loud? You can't even see me. I'm sorry."

" You know you don't have to apologize to me every sentence right?"

" I'm sor- I mean, how's it going?" He changes the subject. Which I'm kinda glad he did.

" Good. What about you and dad?" I pretend asking like I didn't have the slightest interest of knowing.

" I'm good, as well as dad. He's just been super busy with work to really acknowledge me. But he misses you though. Like crazy."

" Why would he miss me if he's the one who left?" I mumble under my breath.

" What? Did you just say dad left? Where did you hear that from?"

Why do I even mumble my words if people around can hear me?

" Yeah." I say shyly. " Wait, do you know something that I don't?" I shoot up.