Chapter 30 The Desert

"How could you let them take Appa!" Aang yelled at Toph. "Why didn't you stop them?"
"I couldn't! The library was sinking! You guys were still inside and-"
"-You could have come to get us! I could've saved him!" Aang cut her off.

"I can hardly feel any vibrations out here. The sandbenders snuck up on me and there wasn't time for-"
"-You just didn't care! You never liked Appa! You just wanted him gone." That was enough.
"Aang, you need to stop." I said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"What! You're taking her side?" He looked at me in disbelief.

"I'm not taking any side. You need to calm down though, because we need to stay together."
"You know Toph did all she could. She saved our lives." Katara added onto me.

"Who's going to save our lives now? We'll never make it out of here!" Sokka worried.

"All you're worried about is yourselves! You don't care if Appa's okay or not!" Aang then stalks off, sulking that apparently none of us care.
"We do care Aang, we just all need to worry about ourselves before we worry about Appa. We need to get out of this desert."
Aang apparently didn't listen to anything that I said, because he instantly took off into the sky, leaving all of us behind to get swept up in the sand.

"We'd better start walking. We're the only people who know about the solar eclipse." Katara said, gathering herself. "We have to get that information to Ba-Sing-Se."
"You think if we dig out the giant owl, he'll give us a ride?" Sokka jokingly asked. I didn't even feel like trying to deal with him.

I walked with the group, even though I had my glider, I won't abandon them. Toph bumped into Sokka, and he got upset with her. Sadly, there is nothing we can really do out here.

"Come on guys, we've gotta stick together." Katara tried to get them to stop arguing.

"If I sweat any more, I don't think sticking together will be a problem."

"Katara, can I have some water?" Toph asked. We all got a bit of water from her bag. I tried to ignore the fact that it is her bending water.

"We're drinking your bending water? You used this on the swamp guy!" Sokka said disgusted.

"Well, it's ether that or be extremely dehydrated." My comment shut them up. I didn't mean to sound grim, but it doesn't help that we're stuck in the middle of the desert.

Sokka then decided that it was a good idea to drink water from plants that we've never seen before.

"Sokka! You shouldn't be eating strange plants!" Katara told him, worried about her brother's health.

"There's water trapped inside these!" Sokka holds up the plant. "It's very thirst quenching," That's when it started to get weird. Sokka's voice changed, and he started to act weird. "Drink cactus juice. It'll quench ya! Nothing's quencher. It's the quenchiest!"

"How did he get his voice to echo here?" I asked Katara.

"Okay, I think you've had enough." Katara pulled him away from the cactus."
"Who lit Toph on fire?" Sokka asked, standing very close to her. Momo was going in circles in the air and then crashed into the ground.

"Can I get some of that cactus?" Toph asked.

"I don't think that's a good idea." Katara stopped her by grabbing her hand. "Come on, we need to find Aang."
"How did we get out here in the middle of the ocean?" Sokka asked, looking around at the sand dunes. How did some cactus juice make him act this way?
"What's that?" Katara asked, pointing to an explosion in the distance. It looked like something must've hit the sand hard to pop up all that sand.
"It''s a giant mushroom! Maybe it's friendly!" Sokka grins looking like he's going to run over to it.
"Let's keep going." Katara says, pulling Sokka away."