Chapter 41

Enid's POV

As soon as we got back, I immediately went to Carl's room. I froze in the doorway.

He looked terrible.

He turned to me and smiled weakly. "Hey," he croaked.

I put on a smile and walked over to him. I sat on the edge of his bed and held his hand.

"The fight..." he breathed. It was obviously hurting him to talk.

"We won," I whispered. "They're gone."

He smiled weakly again. "I knew you could do it. I need you to listen to me, okay?"

Fear stabbed my heart, but I tried to ignore it. "Okay," I whispered.

He coughed weakly. "I don't have very long left."

This time, fear ripped my heart open and tore it to shreds. I shook my head, not wanting to believe him.

"You're gonna be okay," he whispered. "I promise. So will Jessa."

"Carl, please don't." Tears came to my eyes and a gigantic lump clogged my throat.

"When Jessa gets old enough," he continued. "Tell her about me. And tell her to enjoy every single second she has. And you do the same."

"Please don't leave me," I begged, tears finally spilling down my face. "I need you."

He smiled. "No. I'm the one that has always needed you." He smiled differently, like he knew something I didn't. "You gave me my life back again."

I just gripped his hand tightly, not knowing how to respond.

"Enid," he croaked.

I looked up at him.

He coughed softly. "Could you get me a glass of water?"

It took me a while to really understand what he meant. He didn't want water. He just didn't want me to see him die.

Finally, I sniffled and nodded.

He smiled one last time. "I'll miss you," he whispered.

That just about sent me over the edge. "Me too," I choked out. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he replied and I went into his arms.

Finally, I pulled away. I gave his hand one last squeeze.

I turned and shakily started to leave the room.

I turned around to look at him one more time. and I froze.

There, in plain sight, was JC, sitting next to Carl and holding his hand.

She looked at me and smiled, as if saying 'It'll be okay.'

I turned and quickly left the room.

In the middle of Denise's kitchen, I broke down, sobbing violently.

The love of my life, Carl Grimes, was gone.

----------------------------------------------------
Author's Note: BEFORE YALL YELL AT ME, KILLING CARL WAS THE HARDEST THING IVE EVER DONE OKAY