Night and the Sleepless Mind

"Kay, you're a grown up now." Mom spoke as I finished settling my pillow. "What are you even afraid of?" She asked.

"Aliens, I fear Aliens, mom." I muttered slowly and covered my face with the blanket.

Later, that night, everyone was asleep. I couldn't sleep because of the noise outside. There was a rally going on nearby my house. I put a cushion over my ears. The politician was getting louder and it reminded me Katy Perry's song;

Louder, louder than a lion

I closed my eyes for seven minutes to see if I'm normal. But I wasn't. Not normal at all. I was something else, but I didn't inform myself of that.

My sister, Chloe, lying just beside me, moved her head in an awkward way as if she had a bad dream. I patted on her bad to see if she's awake. She shook her head and faced me. Then she closed her eyes again and I didn't dare to disturb her.

Chloe had always been the rude one. That's why I hated her. She used to shout at me even when I was a child. Once she stole ten dollars from her Art Teacher's purse and when everyone came to know Chloe did that, she blamed me. How rude. Are elder sisters supposed to be that mean?

1:00 AM

I was still awake. I lifted my head up to see if Mom was awake, but she wasn't. No one even moved. The rally had stopped an hour ago and now, I didn't have an excuse why I didn't sleep at all. Now I had to find a way to sleep.

1:15 AM

Mom got up to get herself a glass of water. Till the time she finished drinking it, I acted like I was sleeping but she didn't notice. It meant that the act was of no use and that I was always a failure. I shut my eyes hard this time so I could ignore everything and sleep

1:30 AM

Creek Creek

I woke up with my eyes wide. What was that? An alien? No, it isn't possible. But what if it was? Then at once I realized I wasn't sleeping that time. And that meant I didn't wake up. For the rest of the time, I kept questioning myself why I couldn't sleep. Sitting still, hearing eerie sounds. I was already afraid. How were the rest asleep?

3:30 AM

I shook my head. My eyes moved towards the clock. 3:30 AM. WOW. Finally, I slept. But why did I wake up now? What's going on with me? I even had the dinner. Maybe my eyes were not in a mood of closing. I stood up and went to the side table where the jug had been placed. I poured some water in the glass. I drank some and reached my bed again.

We used to sleep in a same room. Usually, when it was hot outside. Because we weren't that rich. But I had a dream-house. A luxurious one. With huge bathrooms. But that was still a dream. I had planned to fulfill it when I grow up.

I planned to sleep for an hour. So I did. Easily this time.

4:01 AM

My eyes opened. The sunlight was coming through the curtains. But no one was awake. I paddled out of the room and then towards my room. Before I entered the room, I heard a creeking voice. I turned around to see where it was coming from. My eyes opened wide. Someone just closed the main door facing me. No, it was Some-One. It was another weird creature. In my opinion, it was an alien. But, they don't exist.

What if they do?