Faking - Javier Baez

For -@bpelkey18

Brooklyn's POV

Being the girlfriend of a Major League Baseball player could be pretty intense. Being the girlfriend of Javier Baez, however, was a chore. He was an amazing boyfriend, always getting me anything I ask for with arguing on my end, he tells me every second of the day that he loves me, and he's always doing his best to make me the happiest. With those good traits aside, Javy could be an ass. He loves pulling pranks on me any chance he can get and any time I question him as to why he does it, he only says it's cute when I freak out. This time however, I nearly had a heart attack.

We were at ball practice, him out on the field and me just watching from the dugout. He likes to invite me to most of the practices, insisting I give him good luck. Today, though, I had a weird feeling. The guys kept giving me a look that I couldn't quit place, especially when Javy was around. And when he was around, he acted overly affectionate, not that it was a bad thing. He's always loving but today it was more random. I stopped questioning it when they all got out on the field to do some mock plays. The play was going to be pretty simple, a double play. Addi was to catch the grounder hit to him and throw it to Javy on second who was then to throw it at Rizzo, nothing they haven't done before.

Once the ball was hit to Addi, I felt my chest tighten strangely, as if something was about to happen. Addison caught the ball easily, and began to throw it to second. Javier was on the bag, ready to get the out at second when Zobrist, who was the runner, slammed into him. I immediately stood up with a gasp, my hands covering my mouth in shock. Benny got up off the ground and held out a hand to help Javy, but Javy could just lay there, clutching his side. I quickly collected myself and ran as fast as I could towards second base, just needing to get to my boyfriend. My heart was pounding in my ears as I neared him. His face was twisted up in pain as he rocked slightly, still clutching his left side. I kneeled on the ground beside him, picking his head up from the ground and resting it on my lap. "Javy, baby look at me, what's hurting? You've got to tell me what's wrong ok?" I said shakily, not knowing if he's broken something or how serious the damage was. Javier only grunted in response. "Baby, I have to know what to tell the medics, please tell me what's hurting." I pushed, looking up to see the medics finally jogging towards us. "My.. my ribs...." he managed to get out. I look at his hand on his side trying to lift his shirt up. I gently moved his hand and lifted his shirt up for him. Once I saw his side, I brought my hands up to cover my mouth for the second time that day.

On his side, there was words written in what looked to be black marker that said 'would you marry me?' I began to tear up as I looked at Javy to see he was smiling, no pain in his face whatsoever. "I'm sorry it happened this way but I had to keep you guessing. I love you, Brooke, more than words could ever say. You have been the best thing that has ever happened to me and I want to marry you so everyday, when I wake up next to you, I have to question myself if I'm dreaming. So, will you marry me?" Javier pulled himself up so that he was kneeling. He reached into his athletic shorts pocket and pulled out a box with a diamond ring in it.

I sat there, looking at him, completely speechless. I looked between him and the ring, my mind running blank as complete euphoria took over me. "Baby......?" Javy whispered, worry evident in his face. I finally snapped out of my trance and did the only thing I could. I practically threw myself at him and crashed my lips to his. He fell back from the sudden impact so that he was lying on the ground, me on top of him. We were both smiling through the kiss as the team cheered and wolf whistled around us. We both pulled away, looking at each other loving. "So... is that a yes?" Javy asks with a smug smile. I let out a laugh while nodding my head yes, leaning in to kiss my fiancé once again. Who said pulling pranks didn't always have an up-side?
————————————————————————
Sorry it's shorter than usual but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless!!! ❤️