Outside My Window

"Contemplation often makes life miserable. We should act more, think less, and stop watching ourselves live."

~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~

The sound awoke me with a start, and I cautiously got out of the comfort of my bed and walked over to my window to go see who the stranger was. I peered through the glass, trying desperately to see who was behind it. My apartment was on the first floor, so technically whoever was out there didn't need to throw a pebble, they could've just knocked since my window was a reasonable height.

Which made me believe it was Hunter.

I mean, if I rationally thought about it, Tony would never bother to be that romantic. He would've just casually walked through my front door (he was a pro at breaking and entering, surprise huh?) and walked straight into my room, while on the way he also would've mindlessly taken the bottle of Jack Daniel's that my dad always kept in the fridge.

Then I would usually get in trouble the next morning for taking my dad's liquor. Most times he didn't mind if I get drunk or anything, as long as the supply came from someone other than himself. My dad and I worked in strange ways.

But I could see Hunter trying to be romantic like that.

I couldn't manage to see behind the glass because it was too dirty, so I manually unhooked the latch and lifted it up to where it was halfway open. I poked my head out and took a look around, trying to find some sort of figure in the darkness.

For some reason there was a very heavy fog out. It had never been like this before, and there definitely was an odd eerie feeling that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand out. I then felt a sudden chill course through my body, and it was within those moments that I realized I was in a dangerous situation. This wasn't some romantic Romeo and Juliet act that I thought it was, this is horrifyingly real.

As ridiculous as it may sound, I could somehow sense that the unknown person out there was set on doing damage.

It was odd, I mean really, who could detect bad intentions deep down in someone? This didn't feel like reality. Suddenly I saw the outline of a human approaching me through the fog. My mind was screaming ignore while my curiousty screamed discover. I ended up doing the latter by staying in my place. I saw the person's facial expression before I saw their face.

It turned out to be Tony, and he had a wickedly evil grin etched on his face.

Before I got an opportunity to ask him what was happening or why he was there, he raised his arm up as though he was going to hand me something, even though he was too far away for me to reach out and take whatever he was giving to me.

But when I saw what was really in his hand, my heart faltered; then stopped completely.

It was a gun, and it was aimed straight in my direction. I found myself staring directly into the barrel of the handgun. My first reaction was that he was just playing around with me, so I tried to joke with him. I nervously laughed and said:

"Oh yeah Tony, real funny! But joke's on you because remember? You told me you would never shoot somebody. You promised me."

Even though I was trying to kid, it came out more serious than I intended. He laughed like it really was funny, and I noticed a certain glint in his eyes: possessed evil.

"Well Angel, I lied."

With that I heard a gunshot, and my last-minute attempt to escape was a fail, therefore I hit my floor with a thud, and laid there covered in my blood.

~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then I awoke.

I looked around frantically, but then realized it had only been a nightmare (though at parts it seemed realistic). But I knew it was a dream because for starters the "blood" that I though I was covered in was actually just sweat. My window was also shut just like it originally was.

The only trace of evidence that the dream had occurred was that I was huddled on the floor near my bed, in the exact same spot where the dream had tragically ended.

Once my heartbeat returned to normal, I went over to my bed and laid down, but not before I searched my room for any signs of anything suspicious, but there were none. Thank goodness it had only been a dream.

But the way it ended made me feel like something like my nightmare could really happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~

~angel~