ten

GRAYSON POV:

It was close to impossible to leave Grace's apartment. After everything that just happened, saying goodbye, even just for the night, was challenging.

It hurt to shut the door behind me, but I was nothing short of grateful. She's giving me a chance, and I know I'm gonna try my hardest not to blow it.

It was about 11 pm by the time I finally went back to my place, and I was surprised to see all the lights off. Ethan was usually still up by this time, and he didn't mention that he was going anywhere tonight, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

"Hey, E? I'm home," I called down the hall, slowly pushing open his bedroom door.

His desk lamp was lit, and he was laying down on his bed, tossing and catching a football above his head. "Hey, man. Hope your date went well."

I walked in and sat on the edge of his bed. "It wasn't a date, but yeah, things were good. Really good. Actually, I wanted to say thanks. Whatever you said to her worked; I think she's actually going to give me a chance."

I looked at my brother, who was completely unphased by my praise. "Bro, are you alright?"

Ethan sighed and sat up next to me. "Yeah, man, I'm fine. And I'm happy for you."

He slapped me lightly on the back before returning to his football.

I took that as a sign that our conversation was over and left, feeling guilty as I shut the door behind me. I hated that I couldn't help Ethan with whatever was on his mind, but I knew deep down if he really needed me, he would come to me. Ethan wasn't usually the one to be open about his feelings unless it was something serious, so I didn't push it.

ETHAN POV:

It was weird seeing Grayson so hung up on someone again. It's been almost two years since his last girlfriend left him and since then, he's been blind to every girl that's looked his way.

I tried to be happy for him, but it's hard. I don't know what the hell is going on with me, but lately, I've been finding myself wondering why I can't settle down and find a girl like Gray can. Messing around and having options is fun, but with all this mushy gushy love stuff going around lately between him and Grace, it's starting to make me wonder what I've been missing out on, and I hate being out of the loop.

For Christ sake, I'm beginning to lose myself. If there's one thing I never believed in, it's that love is the key to happiness. I need to stop thinking about this shit now; I feel like I'm gonna turn into a fifteen-year-old girl.

And I knew the perfect way to get my mind off of things.

JILL POV:

I heard a knock on the door yet again. I sighed and glanced over at the clock. Was it already midnight? I guess this really is the city that never sleeps.

Or was that New York?

I wobbled over to the door. My legs felt like marshmallows after laying down for so long, half asleep. I was surprised to hear someone knocking, to begin with, but even more surprised to see who was behind the sound of it.

"What could Ethan Dolan possibly need from my apartment at an hour like this?" I almost smiled as Ethan towered over me, his hair a mess and his eyes tired. He had a serious look on his face, which didn't at all match the rest of his ready-for-bed exterior.

"I think you know what I need," he put one hand on my waist as he pushed me along with him into the apartment, shutting the door behind me.

I was now being drowned in his touch, his lips lingering all over my upper body.

"Ethan," I tried to speak between the pleasure, "Grace is in her room. I don't want her walking in again." He kept pushing until we were both laying on the couch, one on top of the other.

"E, things got really awkward between us last time, I'm not sure-"

He pulled his lips away from my neck and looked deeply into my eyes, confusion covering his face. He sat up and back on the couch and I quickly adjusted.

I crossed my legs in front of myself and faced him. I tried to understand what was happening, but reading Ethan was always close to impossible.

He stared blankly at the coffee table and spoke, "I'm sorry. I thought that would help but, it didn't." He met my eyes, almost apologetically.

"Um, it's okay..." Now I was the one who was confused. "Help with what, though?"

Ethan obviously wasn't sure about whatever was going through his head, so I waited patiently for him sort things out before he spoke.

After moments of sitting in silence, he finally looked back up at me.

"Do you think I'm a bad person?"

The question shocked me. I thought about it for a while before answering. I've only known Ethan for a couple weeks, in reality. And in those weeks, we've done more kissing than talking.

I looked into his eyes, serious concern and almost desperation washing over him. I took a moment to think before answering.

"No, Ethan. You're not a bad person."

And it wasn't a lie. He let us into his home the first night we were here, he basically carried me back to my room after passing out in his bed, showed us around the city, and was nothing but welcoming to Grace and me since we got here. He was an odd character; a little snarky and kind of mysterious, but that didn't necessarily make him bad.

I watched again as his head dropped to his knees, his hands running through his messy hair.

"Jill, I assume you've had your fair share of boyfriends, is it hard sticking with one person? Or were you never with someone long enough to know?"

I wasn't sure if I should be offended or not. I noticed the seriousness and gentility of Ethan's question, though, and decided not to be. He seemed sincerely locked in his head.

I thought about my past relationships for the first time in a long time.

"There were a few guys I thought I would be with forever, but I mean that's what everyone thinks when they're growing up," I sighed, meeting Ethan's eyes before I continued, "one of them particularly comes to mind now that I think about it. We dated for two years. Of course, seventeen-year-old Me was young and naive and desperately in love; I thought he was gonna be the guy I would marry. Obviously, that wasn't the case."

Ethan gave me a sympathetic look as I opened up about my past, but I shrugged it off. I wasn't that girl anymore; I didn't let the thought of a guy pull me back.

"What's going on in your head, Ethan?" I reached up to run my fingers gently through his hair, a gesture he appreciated as his face softened a bit.

"I don't know. I don't really know why I'm here, actually."

I kept my eyes locked on his, waiting for him to figure things out. I would wait all night if he needed me to.

"Do you think, let's say, I wanted a girlfriend, do you think I would be able to make her happy? And actually be in a relationship?"

I almost laughed but quickly suppressed it. Ethan Dolan settling down with one girl? I've only been here for a couple weeks, but even I know that's unheard of.

I kept notice of his despondent look. This was clearly really eating at him.

"I think if you meet the right person, you won't wanna let her go."

I brought my hand back down to my lap. His lips curled into a small smile, which caused mine to do the same.

Ethan Dolan wants a girlfriend.

Who would've thought.

-

-

hi!! it's been a while so here's a short little thing so I can get this story moving along:) I have an idea for a new book that I will hopefully start soon, but I have a lot of school work I need to finish before I go back and I also wanna finish this one beforehand /:

like and comment please :))