BOOK 5

Such strength, and courage then to Diomed, The son of Tydeus, Pallas gave, as rais'd, 'Mid all the Greeks, the glory of his name. Forth from his helm arid shield a fiery light There flash'd, like autumn's star, that brightest shines When newly risen from his ocean bath. So from the warrior's head and shoulders flash'd That fiery light, as to the midst he urg'd His furious course, where densest masses fought.

There was one Dares 'mid the Trojan host, The priest of Vulcan, rich, of blameless life; Two gallant sons he had, Idaeus nam'd, And Phegeus, skill'd in all the points of war. These, parted from the throng, the warrior met; They on their car, while he on foot advanc'd. When near they came, first Phegeus threw his spear; O'er the left shoulder of Tydides pass'd The erring weapon's point, and miss'd its mark. His pond'rous spear in turn Tydides threw, And not in vain; on Phegeus' breast it struck, Full in the midst, and hurl'd him from the car. Idaeus from the well-wrought chariot sprang, And fled, nor durst his brother's corpse defend. Nor had he so escap'd the doom of death, But Vulcan bore him safely from the field, In darkness shrouded, that his aged sire Might not be wholly of his sons bereav'd. The car Tydides to his comrades gave, And bade them to the ships the horses drive.

Now when the Trojans Dares' sons beheld, The one in flight, the other stretch'd in death, Their spirits within them quail'd; but Pallas took The hand of Mars, and thus address'd the God: "Mars, Mars, thou bane of mortals, blood-stain'd Lord, Razer of cities, wherefore leave we not The Greeks and Trojans to contend, and see To which the sire of all will vict'ry give; While we retire, and shun the wrath of Jove?"

Thus saying, from the battle Mars she led, And plac'd him on Scamander's steepy banks.

The Greeks drove back the Trojan host; the chiefs Slew each his victim; Agamemnon first, The mighty monarch, from his chariot hurl'd Hodius, the sturdy Halizonian chief, Him, as he turn'd, between the shoulder-blades The jav'lin struck, and through his chest was driv'n; Thund'ring he fell, and loud his armour rang.

On Phaestus, Borus' son, Maeonian chief, Who from the fertile plains of Tarna came, Then sprang Idomeneus; and as he sought To mount upon his car, the Cretan King Through his right shoulder drove the pointed spear; He fell; the shades of death his eyes o'erspread, And of his arms the followers stripp'd his corpse.

The son of Atreus, Menelaus, slew Scamandrius, son of Strophius, sportsman keen, In woodcraft skilful; for his practis'd hand Had by Diana's self been taught to slay Each beast of chase the mountain forest holds. But nought avail'd him then the Archer-Queen Diana's counsels, nor his boasted art Of distant aim; for as he fled, the lance Of Menelaus, Atreus' warlike son, Behind his neck, between the shoulder-blades, His flight arresting, through his chest was driv'n. Headlong he fell, and loud his armour rang.

Phereclus by Meriones was slain, Son of Harmonides, whose practis'd hand Knew well to fashion many a work of art; By Pallas highly favour'd; he the ships For Paris built, first origin of ill, Freighted with evil to the men of Troy, And to himself, who knew not Heav'n's decrees. Him, in his headlong flight, in hot pursuit Meriones o'ertook, and thrust his lance Through his right flank; beneath the bone was driv'n The spear, and pierc'd him through: prone on his knees, Groaning, he fell, and death his eyelids clos'd.

Meges Pedaeus slew, Antenor's son, A bastard born, but by Theano rear'd With tender care, and nurtur'd as her son, With her own children, for her husband's sake. Him, Phyleus' warrior son, approaching near, Thrust through the junction of the head and neck; Crash'd through his teeth the spear beneath the tongue; Prone in the dust he gnash'd the brazen point.

Eurypylus, Euaemon's noble son, Hypsenor slew, the worthy progeny Of Dolopion brave; Scamander's priest, And by the people as a God rever'd: Him, as he fled before him, from behind Eurypylus, Euaemon's noble son, Smote with the sword; and from the shoulder-point The brawny arm he sever'd; to the ground Down fell the gory hand; the darkling shades Of death, and rig'rous doom, his eyelids clos'd.