BOOK 9

Thus kept their watch, the Trojans; but the Greeks Dire Panic held, companion of chill Fear, Their bravest struck with grief unbearable. As when two stormy winds ruffle the sea, Boreas and Zephyr, from the hills of Thrace With sudden gust descending; the dark waves Rear high their angry crests, and toss on shore Masses of tangled weed; such stormy grief The breast of ev'ry Grecian warrior rent.

Atrides, heart-struck, wander'd to and fro, And to the clear-voic'd heralds gave command To call, but not with proclamation loud, Each sev'ral man to council; he himself Spar'd not his labour, mixing with the chiefs. Sadly they sat in council; Atreus' son, Weeping, arose; as some dark-water'd fount Pours o'er a craggy steep its gloomy stream; Then with deep groans th' assembled Greeks address'd: "O friends! the chiefs and councillors of Greece, Grievous, and all unlook'd for, is the blow Which Jove hath dealt me; by his promise led I hop'd to raze the strong-built walls of Troy, And home return in safety; but it seems He falsifies his word, and bids me now Return to Argos, frustrate of my hope, Dishonour'd, and with grievous loss of men. Such now appears th' o'er-ruling sov'reign will Of Saturn's son, who oft hath sunk the heads Of many a lofty city in the dust, And yet will sink; for mighty is his hand. Hear then my counsel; let us all agree Home to direct our course: since here in vain We strive to take the well-built walls of Troy."

The monarch spoke; they all in silence heard: In speechless sorrow long they sat: at length Rose valiant Diomed, and thus he spoke: "Atrides, I thy folly must confront, As is my right, in council: thou, O King! Be not offended: once, among the Greeks Thou heldest light my prowess, with the name Of coward branding me; how justly so Is known to all the Greeks, both young and old. On thee the deep-designing Saturn's son In diff'ring measure hath his gifts bestow'd: A throne he gives thee, higher far than all; But valour, noblest boon of Heav'n, denies. How canst thou hope the sons of Greece shall prove Such heartless dastards as thy words suppose? If homeward to return thy mind be fix'd, Depart; the way is open, and the ships, Which from Mycenae follow'd thee in crowds, Are close at hand, and ready to be launch'd. Yet will the other long-hair'd Greeks remain Till Priam's city fall: nay, though the rest Betake them to their ships, and sail for home, Yet I and Sthenelus, we two, will fight Till Troy be ours; for Heav'n is on our side."

Thus he; the sons of Greece, with loud applause, The speech of valiant Diomed confirm'd.

Then aged Nestor rose, and thus began: "Tydides, eminent thou art in war; And In the council thy compeers in age Must yield to thee; thy present words, no Greek Can censure, or gainsay; and yet the end Thou hast not reach'd, and object of debate. But thou art young, and for thine age mightst be My latest born; yet dost thou to the Kings Sage counsel give, and well in season speak. But now will I, that am thine elder far, Go fully through the whole; and none my words May disregard, not ev'n Atrides' self. Outcast from kindred, law, and hearth is he Whose soul delights in fierce internal strife. But yield we now to th' influence of night: Prepare the meal; and let the sev'ral guards Be posted by the ditch, without the wall. This duty on the younger men I lay: Then, Agamemnon, thou thy part perform; For thou art King supreme; the Elders all, As meet and seemly, to the feast invite: Thy tents are full of wine, which Grecian ships O'er the wide sea bring day by day from Thrace; Nor lack'st thou aught thy guests to entertain, And many own thy sway; when all are met, His counsel take, who gives the best advice; Great need we have of counsel wise and good, When close beside our ships the hostile fires Are burning: who can this unmov'd behold? This night our ruin or our safety sees."

He said; and they, assenting, heard his speech. Forth with their followers went th' appointed guards, The princely Thrasymedes, Nestor's son, Ascalaphus, and bold Ialmenus, Two valiant sons of Mars; Meriones, And Aphareus, and brave Deipyrus, And godlike Lycomedes, Creon's son. Sev'n were the leaders; and with each went forth A hundred gallant youths, with lances arm'd. Between the ditch and wall they took their post; There lit their fires, and there the meal prepar'd.