BOOK 23

Thus they throughout the city made their moan; But when the Greeks had come where lay their ships By the broad Hellespont, their sev'ral ways They each pursu'd, dispersing; yet not so Achilles let his Myrmidons disperse, But thus his warlike comrades he address'd:

"My faithful comrades, valiant Myrmidons, Loose we not yet our horses from the cars; But for Patroclus mourn, approaching near, With horse and car; such tribute claim the dead; Then, free indulgence to our sorrows giv'n, Loose we the steeds, and share the ev'ning meal."

He said; and they with mingled voices rais'd The solemn dirge; Achilles led the strain; Thrice round the dead they drove their sleek-skinn'd steeds, Mourning, with hearts by Thetis grief-inspir'd; With tears the sands, with tears the warriors' arms, Were wet; so mighty was the chief they mourn'd. Then on his comrade's breast Achilles laid His blood-stain'd hands, and thus began the wail:

"All hail, Patroclus, though in Pluto's realm; All that I promis'd, lo! I now perform; That on the corpse of Hector, hither dragg'd, Our dogs should feed; and that twelve noble youths, The sons of Troy, before thy fun'ral pyre, My hand, in vengeance for thy death, should slay."

He said, and foully Hector's corpse misus'd, Flung prostrate in the dust, beside the couch Where lay Menoetius' son. His comrades then Their glitt'ring armour doff'd, of polish'd brass, And loos'd their neighing steeds; then round the ship Of Peleus' son in countless numbers sat, While he th' abundant fun'ral feast dispens'd. There many a steer lay stretch'd beneath the knife, And many a sheep, and many a bleating goat, And many a white-tusk'd porker, rich in fat, There lay extended, singeing o'er the fire; And blood, in torrents, flow'd around the corpse. To Agamemnon then the Kings of Greece The royal son of Peleus, swift of foot, Conducted; yet with him they scarce prevail'd; So fierce his anger for his comrade's death. But when to Agamemnon's tent they came, He to the clear-voic'd heralds gave command An ample tripod on the fire to place; If haply Peleus' son he might persuade To wash away the bloody stains of war: But sternly he, and with an oath refus'd.

"No, by great Jove I swear, of all the Gods Highest and mightiest, water shall not touch This head of mine, till on the fun'ral pyre I see the body of Patroclus laid, And build his tomb, and cut my votive hair; For while I live and move 'mid mortal men, No second grief like this can pierce my soul. Observe we now the mournful fun'ral feast; But thou, great Agamemnon, King of men, Send forth at early dawn, and to the camp Bring store of fuel, and all else prepare, That with provision meet the dead may pass Down to the realms of night; so shall the fire From out our sight consume our mighty dead, And to their wonted tasks the troops return."

He said; they listen'd, and his words obey'd; Then busily the ev'ning meal prepar'd, And shar'd the social feast; nor lack'd there aught. The rage of thirst and hunger satisfied, Each to their sev'ral tents the rest repair'd; But on the many-dashing ocean's shore Pelides lay, amid his Myrmidons, With bitter groans; in a clear space he lay, Where broke the waves, continuous, on the beach. There, circumfus'd around him, gentle sleep, Lulling the sorrows of his heart to rest, O'ercame his senses; for the hot pursuit Of Hector round the breezy heights of Troy His active limbs had wearied: as he slept, Sudden appear'd Patroclus' mournful shade, His very self; his height, and beauteous eyes, And voice; the very garb he wont to wear: Above his head it stood, and thus it spoke:

"Sleep'st thou, Achilles, mindless of thy friend, Neglecting, not the living, but the dead? Hasten, my fun'ral rites, that I may pass Through Hades' gloomy gates; ere those be done, The spirits and spectres of departed men Drive me far from them, nor allow to cross Th' abhorred river; but forlorn and sad I wander through the wide-spread realms of night. And give me now thy hand, whereon to weep; For never more, when laid upon the pyre, Shall I return from Hades; never more, Apart from all our comrades, shall we two, As friends, sweet counsel take; for me, stern Death, The common lot of man, has op'd his mouth; Thou too, Achilles, rival of the Gods, Art destin'd here beneath the walls of Troy To meet thy doom; yet one thing must I add, And make, if thou wilt grant it, one request. Let not my bones be laid apart from thine, Achilles, but together, as our youth Was spent together in thy father's house, Since first my sire Menoetius me a boy From Opus brought, a luckless homicide, Who of Amphidamas, by evil chance, Had slain the son, disputing o'er the dice: Me noble Peleus in his house receiv'd, And kindly nurs'd, and thine attendant nam'd; So in one urn be now our bones enclos'd, The golden vase, thy Goddess-mother's gift."