Laura (1944) Testimonial

I'll go ahead and get this out of way. I am obsessed with this film. It's pretty new to my list of favorite films. Yet, although new, I've watched it four times and I'm actually watching it as I type up this entry. Let's hope it doesn't impede our discussion.

Directed by Otto Preminger, we have the Noir Film Laura (1944) on topic for tonight.

I'll include a link of a full synopsis at the end of the entry, but here's a quick one courtesy of Turner Classic Movies:

A police detective falls in love with the woman whose murder he's investigating.

Straight to the point, yeah?

Now, just like with every film I encounter (and fall in love with) I have to Triple Threat it-meaning I have to watch three times, pretty simple. Everyone knows the familiar saying, Third time's the charm. [a favorite cliché of mine, I must confess]! Yes, this Triple Threat is a rule for me however, with this film it turned out to be a privilege. After my first viewing I had the urge to watch it again.
Let's back up to the very first time I watched. I have to admit, I am ashamed and a trifle bit annoyed with myself for watching it while at work on one of our rare busy days. For shame, Olive! I know, I know. But the experience from watching wasn't dull in the least. FUN FACT: I am boy crazy. (Bear with me if you will) I am a sucker for a handsome face and deep voice. (Tall, dark, and handsome-another favorite cliché.) This description alone could very well describe this film in a nutshell. Tall, because it, admittedly, went over my head in my first viewing. Dark, because it was a classic Noir Crime Film in Black & White; shadows surrounding every shot beautifully. Handsome, pertaining to the lovely weaved dialogue. Handsome dialogue and a handsome leading man.
The meaning of the word slapped me in the face as the opening scene where we encounter Lieutenant Mark McPherson, played by the delicious (pardon my boldness) Dana Andrews. I was smitten! I remember saying out loud, "Well hello there you beautiful sexy beast." (Okay, so I whispered it.) At this point, I had made up my mind, if the film wasn't that great, I would watch it, just to watch him! (A fantastic attention getter, Otto.)

       I have another confession-I am a little silly in the first viewing of films

I have another confession-I am a little silly in the first viewing of films. I poke fun at bizarre connections I'm pretty sure I only make. For example, when Mark talks to Waldo Lydecker of how he wrote an article about a previous murder of a victim with the last name Harrington killed in the same manner as Laura Hunt. My silly thought came forth, "What does the murderer got against people with last names starting with H!" The answer? Nothing! I was way off. Throughout the first run-the entire time, I kept asking, "How the hell did Mark fall in love with Laura." The tallness of the film; Mark all of a sudden was jealous, punching other men, and ended up kissing the dame.