.CHAPTER 1

those old memories
keep me going, unlike you
who slowly kills me.

— ○ —

01 | o n e.

"It's been a while, hasn't it, Izumi?" The Uchiha boy asked. He was in a happy mood to see his friend after a long time.

"Yes, Itachi. It's the first time after you became a genin." Suddenly Izumi gasped. "I'm sorry, I haven't gotten you any presents. I haven't even congratulated you. I'm so sorry.." She spoke with a sad voice.

"You don't have to apologize that much," Itachi replied, his words being genuine.

"It doesn't really count as a gift, but," The brunette started unpacking the packet resting on her lap. It revealed a bunch of shiny three-coloured dumplings. "Would you have one? My mother loves these tri-coloured dumplings so I decided to buy them on the way."

Itachi's mouth watered at the sight. Dumplings were one of his favorite foods, so there was no reason to decline Izumi's sweet offer. But then, the girl said, "But, maybe someone like Itachi who's tough, manly and graduated earlier than everyone wouldn't have a sweet tooth. Silly of me to assume by myself." She moved the packet away.

A frown appeared on Itachi's face. Izumi said, "But since I opened them, I better eat them all by myself."

Izumi was about to take a bite out of the dessert, but then she saw the boy staring deeply at it. "Wait.. You want to eat it, Itachi?" She asked, making the said boy blush and look away.

— ○ —

Izumi giggled as Itachi ate his second dumpling. "Is it strange..?" He asked nervously.

"No, it's just that I've known you for a long time, and yet I didn't know about your favorite food."

"Rank and gender have nothing to do with the food one likes." Itachi said, a small, embarrassed pout forming on his lips.

"Yeah." Izumi replied, then started laughing again. This made Itachi blush again and he turned away. "Okay, okay, let me really make it up for you this time. Tell me, is there anything you want?" Izumi said, still smiling.

Itachi deeply stared into Izumi's eyes. He knew that she had already awakened her Sharingan. Seeing his look, Izumi guessed exactly what Itachi wanted.

"I thought so.. But Itachi, I'm sorry. That's one thing I can't give you," Izumi said sorrowfully. "But I'll pray for you, so that your Sharingan would awake very soon. When that happens, I'll definitely congratulate you!"

— ○ —

"Congratulations, Izumi!" Itachi said cheerfully, a heartwarming smile plastered on his lips.

"Thank you so much! I can't believe I'm officially a genin now, that too, a year earlier than everybody else." Izumi replied with the same smile. She was overjoyed because becoming a genin was a huge step closer to reaching her dream.

"This calls for a celebration. Let's go and eat together at a shop, shall we?" The raven boy suggested, and the girl nodded enthusiastically.