.CHAPTER 3

let's enjoy the calm
breeze, before the storm attacks
and ruins it all.

— ○ —

03 | t h r e e.

"Sorry, dear. We're all sold out." The old lady spoke with a sad smile on her lips.

The young brunette replied, "Really? That's a shame.. I should've come sooner."

"You can come tomorrow, dear. I can ensure you that we'll have some special offers as well!" She beamed a grin at the younger. It was so pure that Izumi couldn't help but return it.

"That's great! Thank you, I'll come tomorrow!"

Izumi walked away from the dumpling shop after saying her goodbyes to the shopkeeper. She knew the old lady since she was a kid. Meeting her would always light up her mood, even just by a bit. And today, Izumi's mood was very bright.

"Good work today, Izumi. You didn't only manage to put up a fight when you were at your worst, but also immobilized the main threat. You all get rewarded with a day off tomorrow."

The Third Hokage's words kept ringing into her ears, making her happier by the second. She was quite proud of herself.

"Mother! I'm home!" Izumi chirped as she walked through the front door. Her mother was in the kitchen. To hear Izumi's cheerful voice, she wondered what happened.

Lately, Izumi would come home with a frown on her face and a heavy heart. She was growing strong, but the slow pace made her very sad. She felt like she was falling behind. But today was different. Hazuki wondered what had actually happened, but she couldn't get too happy as her mind was involuntarily getting occupied with something else.

"Welcome back, dear." Hazuki walked into the foyer.

Izumi was taking off her shoes. She said, "Mother, do you know what happened today? The Hokage was so proud of me because of my performance in the mission today that he gave me a day off!" She laughed lightly.

"Ah, I see. That's great. I'm glad for you." The older replied.

Izumi stood up and turned around to face her mother. When she saw the woman's face, she knew something was wrong. She had a sad smile plastered on her lips. Izumi could tell that Hazuki was proud of her, but she could also tell that something else was bothering the latter.

"Mother... Is something wrong?" The brunette asked.

"Freshen up, Izumi. We have to talk. Dinner is almost ready." She spoke and walked back into the kitchen. Izumi was curious, so she was quick with whatever she had to do before dinner.

After dinner, Izumi decided to bring up the topic.
"Mother, you said you wanted to talk?"

"Ah, yes." The raven nodded. "Well, you know there was a clan meeting today, right?"

"Yes." Izumi replied shortly.

"When I went there, I saw that there were only a few of us. Lord Fugaku told us that he purposefully called some chosen people. I noticed that they were all either high ranked in the police force, like me, or they were Jounins."