Part V | Coffee

Author's Note:
I know it looks like a filler chapter, but it will play a part in the future, you'll see.

•••

"So we meet again
after several years
several years of separation
moving on
moving around."

-'Boat Behind', Kings of Convenience.

•••

The evening breeze blew and whispered comforting words into my ears as I walked home from school, exhausted from the cocurricular activities that were held the entire afternoon. My limbs were tired from all the extra physical activities that I've done. Unlike most of the students in my school, I was born neither athletic nor outstandingly clever. But I considered myself decent in music. Music has always been a passion of mine. The hours of piano playing didn't go to waste at all.

The smell of pastries and coffee disrupted my train of thoughts as I turned towards the corner on my left. I was using the alternative route as the main route's usually congested in the evening. I walked some more, following the fragrant aroma of coffee and the inviting scent of freshly baked pastries. It led me to a little black shoplot with 'The Library' written in bold, white font. In one corner of the what seems like a café, I could see an array of books displayed proudly on an oaken shelf. The little café got me intrigued immediately so I walked into the premise that was surprisingly not packed.

"Hello," a girl who seemed to be of my age greeted with a smile, "Welcome to The Library."

I smiled back at her. She was wearing the shop's signature cap backwards, her long coppery brown locks cascading down to just right above her waist. "Hello, and thank you," I replied before turning my gaze around and admiring the interior of the shop. The shop is just the right size for a café, and the decorations are modest and yet modern. It has a cozy snuggly atmosphere to it.

"So, what kind of coffee do you want?" The girl from before asked.

I grimaced at the mention of coffee. "I don't like coffee, sorry."

The girl was taken aback. "But coffee is good, miss!"

I shook my head. "They give me a bad stomachache."

"That's a shame. We have the best coffee in the house," she said proudly. "Then, something to eat maybe?"

"Honestly, I didn't even expect to find this place at first," I confessed. "But since I'm a little hungry, I guess I could use a couple cinnamon sugar pretzels," I said, eyeing the delicious fluffy treat.

She gave me a wide smile and thanked me before rushing to get my pretzels ready.

A few moments later, I found myself sitting on a wooden table, picking up from where I left my Dan Brown hanging as I savored a bit of the sugary goodness. They were so good, I realized. I think I've found my new favourite café.

I heard footsteps heading towards my direction and a clearing of throat after.

"Excuse me, miss," she said, "But you look very familiar."

"I do?" I asked, quirking an eyebrow as I looked up from the book. She was even prettier up close, I realized. Her eyes were exactly the same shade as Deirdre's, and held the same intensity of warmth.