Part VI | Newman's Theory

"There's an old voice in my head
That's holding me back
Well tell her that I miss our little talks."

-'Little Talks', Of Monsters and Men.

•••

The days that passed by after the chance encounter with Sarah and Ivan at the café were uneventful and burdened by the load of homeworks. It was a mountainous pile on my desk already. Apart from that, I've begun to spend lunch time with Ivan and Sarah more instead of having to sit alone at that one corner just to avoid a certain someone.

Come to think of her, the heartbreak still pains me, but it's begun to subside somehow. I was beginning to wonder if time really heals. For now, it seems like it will.

But what if time is only an excuse to pretend to be strong?

•••

"Pray tell, how do you cope up with too much assignments?" I was asked by Sarah one day, who was obviously worn out by the workload.

I shrugged. "I don't. I ditch them for sleep, really. Unless they're due tomorrow or after tomorrow."

Sarah gaped at me. "Girl, that's so fucking sa-"

"Hello, my favourite pair of bananas," Ivan intercepted, sitting himself down between Sarah and me.

Sarah scrunched her face. "Why bananas, rubbish bin?"

"You're both wearing yellow shirts today," Ivan pointed out, and he was damn right. I was wearing a yellow T-shirt with a smiley face on it, and Sarah was wearing a yellow hoodie. "What, are you twinning today?"

Sarah slapped his arm. "No, you doofus. It was coincidental."

"At least I'm not the one wearing bikinis," Ivan said, making a face, "They're disgusting."

Sarah gasped. "You did not just insult my favourite piece of clothing."

"It's only a piece of clothing!"

"It is beautiful!"

"No! It's ugly!"

"You're so weird! I thought boys love seeing girls in bikinis!"

"Well, not me!"

I watched the exchange between Ivan and Sarah in amusement as they continued to bicker on and on. They would make a cute couple, I realized.

This calls for Mission Ivarah.

"Geez, guys. You argue like a married couple," I teased.

First step accomplished.

Immediately after I said the word 'couple', they stopped bickering and looked at me.

"Hell no," Sarah replied, her face slightly tinted red.

"No, no, no, no, nope. No, we didn't," Ivan protested.

"I sense a ship," I said, smirking after.

"How could you sense a ship? I mean, they're big and all, but the harbour's a few miles away," Sarah said.