Prologue

Annie's POV

"Hey, Annie, good morning." Mom greeted as I sleepily came downstairs.

"Good afternoon, Annie." Hayley greeted as well, and that's when I realized it was 1 PM, my usual time to wake up during the summer.

"Oh yeah," Mom chuckled. "It is the afternoon. Why do you sleep in so late?"

"Because I stayed up until 3 and I'm always tired." I replied dully as I put some bread in the toaster.

"Well, your mother and I have a surprise for you and Hayley." Dad said.

"Really? What is it?" Hayley asked excitedly as my toast popped up.

"You two are going to stay in a cabin in the woods with your friends for two weeks!" Mom exclaimed excitedly.

"Wait, really??" Hayley asked. "That's awesome!"

"What do you think, Annie?" Dad asked.

I shrugged as I ate my toast. "I don't have a choice, do I?"

"Well, no, but it's going to be so much fun!" Mom said as she came behind me and put her hands on my shoulders. "You're going with Sydney, Luke, Hayden, Katie—"

"Katie's mad at me. Did she really agree to go?" I asked Mom.

After Caleb died, Katie admitted to me that she had feelings for him. I told her it was obviously too late now to confess, but she got mad at me for saying that. Long story short, we had an argument after that, and it wasn't just about her feelings for Caleb, it was about a lot of things. We haven't talked since December, and it's currently June.

"Well, she agreed to go, so maybe she isn't mad anymore." Dad pointed out.

"When do we go?" Hayley asked.

"Sunday, so you should start packing." Mom said.

"Okay! Yay!" Hayley yelled as she ran up the stairs.

After I ate my breakfast, I trudged back upstairs into my room to start packing. I wasn't really looking forward to this trip, but at the same time I was, because Hayden was going.

After Caleb had died and I lost contact with most of my friends, I had met Hayden through Instagram. We became really close friends, and we went to visit him a couple times and he's visited too. He was my first real friend after Caleb's death, and I know he'll always be there for me, which is perfect.

I guess this trip won't be so bad with Hayden there...right?

•••

"We're here!" Mom announced as we pulled up in front of a long brown wooden cabin.

We parked behind Katie's car, which alerted me that she was here. And I also saw Hayden's car, which made he happy.

I got out of the car and immediately spotted Hayden on the porch.

He grinned and waved when he saw me before running over and hugging me.

"Annie! You're here!" Hayden said with a small laugh as he lifted me up and hugged me.

"Yay! You are too!" I laughed as he spun me around and then put me back on the ground.

"Hello, Annie." I looked to my left to see Katie slowly approaching me.

"Hey. It's been a while." I replied awkwardly.

Katie nodded. "Yeah. You stopped talking to me."