Chapter 4.

Annie's POV

"Annie, will you go out with me?" Hayden's question echoed in my brain throughout the entire night.

I was so shocked when he asked me, all I did was freeze. My jaw was wide open as I sat there staring straight ahead.

"Annie?" Hayden asked a couple minutes after he asked the question. "I don't like where this is going." He said with a slight laugh.

"I-I–" I stood up and ran into the girls's room.

I locked the door and sat on my bed with my knees up to my chest. My jaw was still wide open as I rocked back and forth.

Hayden asked me out? He likes me? I felt like it should have been obvious, since he was always around and always sending me purple heart emojis and whatever else he does. Why did it come as a shock to me? And why did I react so stupidly?

"Annie?" The door opened slowly and Sydney walk in.

"Yes?" I replied as she sat on the edge of my bed.

"You okay?" Sydney asked.

I shrugged. "Just shocked, that's all."

"Well, I think you should talk to Hayden," Sydney grabbed my hand.

"But I don't know if I want to or can," I said with a slight shrug.

"Just be polite, go to him and say 'yes' or 'no'," Sydney explained.

I sighed. "Can I think about this for a little while longer?"

Sydney nodded and gave me a small smile. "Of course. We'll be out here if you need us."

And all night, I just sat there and thought about what Hayden had asked me. I never really thought of him in that way, and I think I was starting to like Jake...but I wasn't sure.

We have a little more than a week, and I don't know how it would be if I gave Hayden an answer. Would he hate me if I said no? Would it be awkward if I said yes and the date was terrible?

I quietly walked out of the room and into the living room. I sat on the couch and just kept thinking; sometimes I like being alone with my thoughts.

"Annie?" I jumped at the sound of a whisper. I looked at the hall to see Hayden standing there. "You okay?"

I nodded. "Y-yeah. I-I just needed a place to..."

"Think?" He asked.

I nodded again. "Y-yeah."

"Mind if I sit with you?" He asked.

"Not at all," I replied, although I really preferred to be alone.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes before we heard glass shatter in the kitchen.

Both Hayden and I's heads jerked in the direction of the kitchen. No one was there, but we both heard the glass shatter.

"W-w-what was t-that?" I asked nervously.

"I don't know," Hayden answered as he slowly stood up.

I stood up too and made my way over to him.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"I want to see what it is, too," I replied.

"Okay, just get behind me," Hayden said as I nodded. I stood behind him and placed my shaking hands on his shoulders. He slowly walked forward and because it was so dark, he turn the light switch on a little so that the light was on, but very dim so it wasn't so bright.