Chapter 7.

Annie's POV

I was already running late to the lakefront party later that evening, but I wanted to make sure that I looked okay before leaving.

I stood in front of the mirror in our bedroom and tried on a few outfits before deciding on one. I then put a small flower in my hair before leaving the empty cabin and down to the lake front.

"Geez, Annie, what took you so long?" Brennan asked with a grin as he playfully slipped an arm around my shoulder. I rolled my eyes and nudged his side with my elbow as he laughed along with me.

"Hey, Brennan, you coming?" Ryan asked as he threw a ball in the air. "We're about to start our volleyball game."

"Yeah, I'm coming," Brennan let me go and started to run off as Sydney joined me.

"Wanna watch?" I nodded and we sat down on a towel Sydney and Katie laid out with a picnic basket as the boys split into teams. Brennan and Jake were on one team, while Luke and Hayden were on the other. Ryan was going to be keeping score with Hayley, so they stood close by.

"Aw look, the boys that are after Annie's heart are going against each other!" Katie teased playfully before I shoved her. She sat back up and laughed as Sydney tried to stifle a giggle.

The game started and we kept a close watch. I found myself watching Jake more than Hayden throughout the game, and Jake was really good. At one point he leaped high into the air and hit the ball forcefully to the other side of the net, which went straight into Hayden's face.

"Hayden!" I immediately stood up and ran over towards him.

He groaned as I fell onto my knees on the ground next to him. I moved a couple of his curls off his face and saw his nose was bleeding.

"Oh my god, Hayden, are you okay?" I asked with concern just as Luke handed me a napkin from Sydney's picnic basket. I placed the napkin under his nose, causing Hayden to wince.

"I think my nose might be broken," he said before he let out another groan.

"Come on, let's get you inside," I stood up and carefully helped Hayden up, allowing him to wrap an around around me as we walked back to the cabin.

"Annie—" Jake called out from behind me.

"I've got it," I snapped as I turned my head to face him. "You've done enough, Jake."

I opened the cabin door and lead Hayden to the bathroom, where I sat him down and started running the water. I put a towel underneath the running sink before putting it under Hayden's nose as he winced again.

"Sorry, I just need to clean in," I explained as I gently wiped the blood off. Once the blood was cleaned up, I found a first aid kit and put some medical tape over his nose.

"Are you okay now?" I asked once I was finished.

Hayden gave me a slight nod. "Yeah, I think I'll be alright. Thanks, Dr. Annie."

I let out a small laugh. "No problem. Now you should probably change your shirt, the collar is all bloody."

"Oh, right," he nodded and headed to the boys' room to change. Once he was finished, he came out and sat next to me on the couch.

"You don't want to go back out there?" Hayden asked.

I shrugged. "Not really, to be honest. Not after what happened last time."

Hayden held my hand and gave me a small smile. "You don't have to go in the water. You could have a picnic with your friends, stargaze, play a game of volleyball—"