Chapter 4 : A Brewing Storm

Given that their mid-term exams were over, the start of the summer vacation was only several days away. At the start, after getting together with JingYu, Weizhou continued having lunch with Wang so as to not rub in their relationship in Liang's face and Liang had lunch with some other friends. However after several days, Wang invited Liang and Kim to join them just as they used to in the past. Both Wang and Kim did their best to lessen the awkward tension in the atmosphere. At first when JingYu noticed this, he did not make a big deal of it as he knew that was Weizhou's circle of friends.

On the third day, Liang actually exchanged a few words with Weizhou, joining in a conversation between Weizhou and Kim. They were discussing about a leadership camp they had signed up for. It was supposed to take place for a week during their summer vacation.

"So you're still going too?" Liang asked.

"Yeah." Weizhou answered. "You too?"

"Yep." Liang smiled.

Weizhou remembered how the two of them eagerly rushed to sign up for it couple of months back. They were excited for it cause they knew it would look good on their college applications.

"Damn I should have signed up too." Wang sighed.

"See?! You should have listened to me you lazy brat!" Kim responded.

Meanwhile, Weizhou's eyes searched throughout the canteen for a trace of his boyfriend. JingYu usually sat at a table not too far away from his with a couple of friends for lunch. They had a habit of exchanging a few texts during lunch.

'Where are you?' Weizhou sent a text.

He impatiently waited. JingYu's reply came like 5 minutes later.

'Hey something came up. I'll pick you up at 6.'

Weizhou did not like the vagueness of the reply. 'You went home?'

Several more minutes went by.

'No babe. Just work.'

Weizhou's face changed.

"You okay?" Said Wang's voice, making Weizhou look up.

"Yeah." Weizhou gave a forced smile and unintentionally glanced at Liang to see that he was carefully studying his face.

Weizhou immediately shifted his gaze to his barely touched tray of food.

*******

That evening Weizhou found himself waiting and waiting until it was past 7.30PM. Although he was at home, his mind had been a mess since lunch time at school. He had not attempted to call JingYu until it was 6.30PM. But when he did so, his phone was off. He didn't jump to any conclusion but could not help feeling uneasy and was unable to concentrate on anything.

Upon finally hearing the bell of the front door, he rushed to open it. Mrs.Xu was close behind him.

As expected, there stood JingYu. His face gave away his mood.

Weizhou turned to Mrs.Xu. "Mom, I'll be back in a few."

"Isn't it quite late to go out now?." She responded. "You guys will anyway meet at school tomorrow."

Weizhou's heart sank. He desperately wanted to talk to JingYu at this moment, not through the phone. He yearned to do so in person. "It'll only take a few minutes mom."

"No Zhouzhou. She's right. I'll call you." JingYu prepared to leave.

"No I'm coming with you." Weizhou walked out, ignoring his mother.