02 - The Swap

Chapter the Second

The Swap

Amber’s P.O.V

Surprisingly, detention wasn’t as bad as bad as I first anticipated. Mr. Jones wasn’t such a bad guy after all. He was only grouchy because he hadn’t slept last night and that someone woke him. Eva and I understood where he was coming from. He even told us to forget about the lines we were supposed to write.

     For an hour and a half, the three of us stayed there and chatted on a few things. I figured that he was a fan of rap music and had a fancy for Chuck Norris jokes. I was going to warn him about the penalty of joking about Chuck but I was too busy laughing.

     I laughed for mostly all the time that we spent together. This dude was the lost treasure chest of really funny jokes. It ranged from blonde jokes to simple puns. I bond with all my teachers but Mr. Jones just made a new spot in my heart to harbor at.

      “Hello… Amber… Are you even listening to me?”

     The sound of Eva's voice had me snapping my head towards her direction. She was standing there, facing me with her hands on her hips in a sassy manner. Her bag was dangling from her shoulder and she was now tapping her foot, trying to catch my attention.

     “Oh… um sorry Eva, I was just thinking about detention today,” I say, still managing to smile at our morning.

     A smile slowly crept on the face of my best friend as she stops all her sassy stuff. Replying to what I said, she says, “Ha-ha, I almost got my freaking face flattened! Other than that, Mr. Jones is pretty cool. He even looks too young to be a teacher, if I do say so myself.”

     “Yeah, I reckoned the same. The guy is maybe twenty or around that range,” I state, walking side by side with Eva as we made our way out of the hallway.

      “Hmm, does someone have a crush on the detention warden,” Eva coos and I rolled my eyes as a response. Not being satisfied with her attempt of getting a proper reaction from me, she continues by saying, “I could have sensed you getting horny in the classroom. The only thing that saved you was your laugher. No wonder you went to the washroom. You were dripping wet I-“

     The death glare I gave Eva at this moment caused her to cut off her own sentence. Staring at her for five more seconds, I make a ‘humph’ sound of victory. I could sense that Eva thought that I had gotten mad. Truth is, if you did continue what she was saying then I would have exploded but she managed to stop herself on time.

      This nerd named Amber Michelle has a few tricks up her sleeve, you know. I also have a death glare which could make you piss bricks.

     “Anyways, I have cheer practice today, mind waiting for me?” Eva asks and I gave her a confused facial expression.

      “Last time I checked you don’t have cheer practice on a Wednesday,” I comment because all this was new to me. From junior year Eva has been in cheerleading and the days for practice have never changed. Mondays, Tuesdays and Saturdays were the only days for practice.