19 | A New Start

After waiting a while, Briar Rose and Nick returned to the Glowing Sea to check on Virgil. The serum had worked; he was back as a normal, black-headed man. But he wasn't pleased to see them this time; when the feed of the Classical radio went dead, he knew what had happened. Their explanation for doing it for the Commonwealth and that they had evacuated all the civilians eased his anger some, but he still told them to go and never come back.

Back in Sanctuary, Shaun had no trouble at all adapting to life above. He actually acted like a kid, running around with Dogmeat and playing with other kids. Codsworth had been beyond thrilled to have a 'new young Shaun' to watch after.

She asked Nick what they were going to do about Valentine Detective Agency; with the elimination of the Institute, he felt that there wouldn't be such a need for his services anymore—plus, he was tired of the work and liked this quiet life. They sent a message to Ellie to do what she wanted with the shop—keep it running with another detective or close it for good. She responded with wishes for their new life together and a promise to think about what to do with the agency.

Seated on a couch on the porch built outside her old home, Briar Rose curled into Nick's side, watching their son play tag with some other kids. It wasn't hard fitting back into a contented family life; not at all.