Chapter 28:

"Lizzy!" Arabella hugged her friend, Joan smiling. "Everyone has missed you!"

"Yes," agreed Joan, linking arms with Elizabeth. The three children walked together up to Whyteleafe. Arabella winked at Joan. They opened the door and the whole school cried, "Welcome back, Elizabeth!" Her eyes filled with tears of delight.

"I've missed you all so much," she said, tears pouring down her cheeks. Belinda and Jennifer grinned at their friend, going over to her and standing next to her. 

There was a great party, as Elizabeth was a very popular girl. "Hey, Lizzy," Joan said, walking over. 

"Hi..."

"You have a right to know what's been going on." Joan shifted slightly.

"OK..." Elizabeth looked confused, but still listened.

"I was offered a scholarship to the Royal Academy for Performing Arts," she whispered quietly. Elizabeth gasped.

The Royal Academy for Performing Arts was also in London, and many people believed that it was the best school in the world. 

"Mother lost her job... and she is running on her last hundreds. She can't afford for me to stay at Whyteleafe. It was partly her fault, she argued with her boss... and... I guess I haven't been concentrating... things have been going on in my mind... I was angry with mother..."

"You're not coming back after the summer, are you?" Elizabeth asked.

Joan shook her head. "No, I'm not. This is my last term here."