Chapter 10

Chapter 10

  Dean grilled me about what Sam and I had found out. I had already told him but he wasn’t paying attention apparently, so I had to go through it all again.

“There’s a hunter here huh?” Dean crossed his arms, impatiently tapping his foot on the ground while we waited.

“It seems so. She almost shot me.” I replied, shivering at the thought of it. Dean stopped and turned to me with furrowed brows.

“She did what?” He asked more insulted than surprised. I stuck my hands in my jacket pockets and took a deep breath.

“Well, Sam and I were going to ‘investigate’ her room, which I thought was a bad idea to begin with. But we went anyway and she found us. She obviously didn’t know who we were so she took the defensive position, which happened to be a gun to my back.” I explained, trying to sound a little braver than I felt. Dean uncrossed his arms and just stared at me for a moment.

“Well, at least she didn’t pull the trigger and then ask questions.” He shook his head seeming a little nervous himself.

“Thank God for that.” I breathed out, looking up at the disappearing sun. I’d always loved sunsets, even when I was little. Something about them made me feel warm. It was a trait I inherited from my mother.

  Another minute and Sam was pulling up and sure enough Felicity was in the front seat. We didn’t waste any time in climbing into the back even though it was Dean’s car and he preferred to drive. I felt a little wary with the woman who tried to kill me a few hours ago sitting stoically in front of me but didn’t say anything and neither did she. Sam filled us in on what he knew on the way and like he suggested I tried to prepare myself for what I was going to see.

“I’m Agent Kelly and these are my colleagues.” Sam motioned to us as he spoke to the police officer in charge of the scene.

“This one is fresh. The medical examiner says it’s not even two hours old.” The policeman commented, lifting the ‘caution’ tape so we could pass through. Felicity gave me a strange look before walking in ahead of me, followed by Sam. Dean nodded at me and I closed my eyes for a brief moment before opening them to the sight before me.

 Sam was right. It was gruesome. Blood was spilled all around the pale, lifeless body. The girl’s face was blank and bruised. Her arms and neck were covered in bite marks, which looked like the flesh had been completely torn to shreds. It was utterly sickening.

  Bile rose up into my mouth as I took it all in. My hands were shaking and I felt my knees weaken. I wasn’t the type prone to fainting, but I felt very close to doing just that.

“I got ya.” I heard Sam say from beside me and a strong arm grabbed me from around the waist to keep me up.

“I’m fine,” I whispered, trying to keep a level head but my vision started to blur.

“No you’re not.” He replied lowly, pulling me back across the tape. “Newbie.” He commented to the police officer who gave me a cautious glare. The officer nodded in understanding before getting back to work on crowd control.

 Sam led me out of the noisy bustling people and flashing lights to a more secluded street, which faced the woods. The darkness kept us out of the line of sight for a decent amount of privacy.

“Are you okay?” He asked, checking my face and saw that my color had drained from it.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be such a weenie.” I said, looking down at the dirty ground, feeling ashamed of myself.