Chapter 22

My family had just come back from Tahoe about a week ago; right on time for Christmas. They showed me pictures of themselves, the hotel they stayed at, and the food they ate at the buffets there. 

"Too bad you were sick," Murphy says as he scrolls over the photos on his iPad to show me a picture of him eating a whole pizza. 

Mason slides in next to me on the couch, turning the T.V. on. "Did you fake it to have a play date with Finn?" he smirks. Which results in him getting a punch on the shoulder. "Geez you don't have to be so defensive about it," Mason holds up his hands in surrender. 

"I didn't fake it," I say taking the remote from him. 

"Sure, sure," he teases with one eyebrow raised. 

"Whatever," I surf Netflix until I find the cover for Flash. "Are you guys going to the Vus' for New Year's?" 

"Mom says I'm too young for that," Murphy responds. 

"I'll go, as long as I'm not responsible for whatever happens between you and Finn upstairs at their place," Mason offers. 

I roll my eyes, "Fine, don't go." 

"So you are gonna do something, huh?" 

"Holy crap, shut up," I leave the couch and go to my room. The party starts in three hours and I still haven't really organized my outfit. I look at a bright red cocktail dress. Too formal. I look for the white dress I wore to my Christian Communion. Nope. I look for some skirts and blouses and try different combos on them. None of them like me. Forget it, I grab a simple black v-neck and a white long-sleeve shirt to put under. 

I put the garments on, pull my hair up into a decent bun and wrap a short necklace around my neck. The pendant is a small heart with little lace engravings on it. I slip a hair tie onto my wrist (just in case the one in my hair decides to pop) and head out the bedroom door. 

** 

"Oye! Rennie, you're here! Where's you're parents and brothers?" Finn's dad greets me at the door and ushers me inside to where it's warm and toasty. 

"Uh, they'e getting ready I just thought maybe I can go ahead." 

"Oh, okay, there's food over there and the wii is over there. I don't think you can drink yet, so don't go over there," he points to the right where there's a counter filled with tequila, wine, scotch, and other alcohols. 

I smile and nod, "Okay, thank you." He leaves and my eyes scan the crowd for Finn. Not seeing him, I walk further into the room until I bump into a crowd of laughing girls who are circling a tall guy in a black blazer and blue jeans. He cracks another joke and they're roaring and he turns around. The guy's Finn. 

He must have noticed me because all of a sudden, the circle breaks and he's making his way towards me. "Rennie, you're here!" He puts an arm around me and walks me back into the circle. 

"Ooh, who's this Finney?" A girl who's about a few inches taller than me asks and the girls around her giggle. 

Finn pats my head, "guys, this is Rennie; Rennie, these are my cousins. Sheila, Kristy, and Katie." He pointed to each of them as he said their names. 

"O.M.G!" The taller girl, Sheila, exclaims. "Rennie! You've grown so much!" 

Wait, huh? I don't remember this girl. 

"I was that girl who always lost my kite at your yard every summer!" 

That rings a bell. For about four summers after Finn had moved in, a girl would come over and would always fly her kite so high she'd always loose it. The kite would always land at our yard and Mom would send me to Finn's house to deliver it back. The girl was older than me by about three years or so, but she'd always drag me into the Vu's house to play dress-up or tea time. I never got her name though, we'd just play.