1.1.3

Renna turned to leave and return to her duties under the Prince, which would basically be following him following the King. As she took her first step, a small hand touched her shoulder. She looked to see Gwen, slightly out of breath. She had to have run from the castle to make it down to the square this quickly.

"I have a favor to ask."

Renna somehow found herself cleaning the Lady Morgana's chambers a few minutes later, with the Lady Morgana herself watching while eating her lunch. "Gwen seems quite charmed with what that boy did," Morgana brought up, for the third time. Ren scoffed, for the third time. "Merlin, was it?"

"Yes, Merlin." She went and refilled the Lady's cup. "I don't understand why. Not only did he disrespect the Prince, he was almost thrown into prison, which would not just disgrace him, but anyone in association with him."

"Including you?" Morgana asked sarcastically.

"Including Gaius." Renna turned around quickly, tidying the curtains. She stopped as a thought hit her, causing her to loosen her grip. "I couldn't stand it if Gaius' reputation was hurt. He doesn't deserve that."

"Of course, Ren. There's no need to worry." Morgana walked over and put her hands on her shoulders. "You must be incredibly stressed, with the arrival of someone new in your family, your duties- I'd heard you'd been given Arthur again, you poor thing. How about you stay tonight to greet Lady Helen. I know how much you're looking forward to her performance, and you deserve a little treat."

"Thank you, milady." Ren smiled softly and turned again, finishing with the curtains. Morgana huffed, fed up with Ren's constant need to please.

"I think the room looks infinitely better now, thank you." Morgana sat down as Ren turned to her again. "I'm sure Arthur is very bored, following the King around, I'd bet he could use some company. Could you take my dishes to the kitchens on your way?"

"Of course, Gwen should be back any minute." Renna grabbed the silver tray and curtsied then exited the room. On her way down the stairs, she almost bumped into Gwen herself, who stopped her again by grabbing the crook of her arm. "Let me guess, another favor?"

Gwen laughed. "Not this time. Just a thank you." She stood so that they were on the same step, almost eye to eye. "I was talking to Merlin, commending him."

Ren laughed, covering her mouth after realizing how loud she was. "There's absolutely no need to stoke his ego like that."

"Oh, but I'm afraid I've done the opposite on accident," she said with a nervous chuckle. "I accidentally implied he was weak and incompetent. But he had a clever little sarcastic reply, was really kindhearted. I swear you two could pass as siblings in the way you act."

"Luckily we aren't, and our only connection is Gaius. I can hardly stand him at times."

"Really? He seems incredibly nice, fun to be around. He joked a lot, so I can see why you don't like to be around him." Renna raised her eyebrows, knowing Gwen meant no harm, but realizing what was implied. Gwen caught on as well. "Not that you're uptight or anything, you joke just as much, it's just the situation he was in you wouldn't have tolerated joking then."

Renna sighed and turned slightly away, then back again. She smiled at Gwen and began her decent down the stairs. "I must be on my way if I don't want to be in the stocks beside him, and as you said, that would be the worst torture imaginable." She turned and waved before rounding the corner, finding her way to the throne room.

Renna stood beside Gwen in the same throne room she'd found the Prince and King in earlier. Gwen nudged her and smiled wide like a child before Christmas, having heard footsteps coming down the hall.