Chapter 1: Prologue - The Neighbour's Monster [R]

September 1, 2011

Haley was six years old when her curious eyes twinkled up at her neighbor's house. It started eight days ago, when Douglas Hunsiker was finally able to bring her home. The two of them were halfway through the door when he spotted his other daughter in tears. He was shocked, Haley was fascinated, and Alice was balling her eyes out. It took them both a while to decipher at least one word in between her sniffs and hiccups: "M-hic-Monster." Haley was left forgotten in the doorway while Douglas tried to calm Alice down. Since then, her neighbor's house became her obsession. It was no longer just some background blur.

Haley has seen her sister cry many times. The worst time was when Haley was rushed to the hospital for the first time. They were both still young and the memory was hazy, but she'll never forget her sister's panicked, wet face. But she's also seen Alice scream at caterpillars, tear up at little lizards, and nearly pass out at the touch of baby frogs. She suspected, just like then, that there was no monster. After all, her father said that monsters weren't real. But there had to have been something that frightened Alice, and Haley needed to know what it was.

So, for the eighth night in a row, she sat comfortably in her bed by her balcony and studied her neighbour's dormer for any sign of movement.

Alice and Haley were identical in many ways, but they simultaneously looked exactly alike and nothing alike. Unlike her twin, Haley's body was abnormally small and dainty for her age. Whenever she was dwarfed by her large bed, she appeared almost comically frail. Her brown eyes twinkled like her sister's, but they were circled by deep black lines. Despite being cut the same as her sister's, Haley's short blonde hair was malnourished and thin. Emma, her previous babysitter, had attempted braiding it once and the lady had a panic attack when she saw a clump of hair snap off between her fingers. Haley didn't mind - she enjoyed having her hair played with. But her father was furious and her babysitter was fired.

She unconsciously brushed a few strands out of her eyes at the memory. Her fingers, too, were scrawny and weak. No, despite being identical, the two girls really did look nothing alike - nothing alike at all.

Haley was jolted from her thoughts when a dark figure blurred pass her neighbor's window. She immediately sat up and leaned closer. At first, she could only glimpse the shape every few seconds as it swung in and out of sight, but eventually, the figure stopped and dropped to the floor. Whatever it was, it had noticed her, and that fact alone was enough to make anticipation rush through her. The creature paused before moving closer; Haley felt herself instinctively inch back. The hobble in its step made it look hesitant; it looked like it wasn't sure if it wanted to come closer or run away. But once it peeked through the window and the moonlight cascaded across its face, Haley knew she was wrong. He - yes, a 'he' apparently - did not look afraid. In fact, his whole face glowed at the sight of her. His green eyes sparkled with a curiosity that she's never seen before. She was right: he was no monster, and he also wasn't human. And despite his apish appearance, Haley couldn't bring herself to call him an ape either. Haley has never seen an ape in person, and she still felt like she hasn't. The only thing that was sincerely apish about him was the hobble that she mistook for fear.

She swallowed; her throat felt dry. She was neither horrified nor scared, but her chest swelled with awe. She knew she was gaping, but she didn't care. Not losing herself completely, she glanced behind her to make sure her door was still closed. It was. Shakily, she rose her bony arm and gave a little wave. It was to her utter disbelief when she saw the ape hoot excitedly before he waved back.

March 6, 2014

"Send my love to Emily's parents!"

"I will!"