Two Years

[Unrevised. 4 Years Old. Prepare for inconsistencies with previous chapters.]

Most say that people don't ever change, that others only pretend or fool themselves into thinking it's possible, but what about apes or those who live with them? Haley always seemed to wonder this.

It's been two years since she was dragged to the Ape Village by Rocket's arms and, since then, most everyone has changed in their own way, a friendship even growing between her and her kidnapper, but this ripple of change only began the day that Haley and Koba's relationship was announced to the other apes. Immediately, they broke into a vocal outrage, appalled by something so "unnatural," but over time, their open protests and disapproval over the matter becoming scarce – whether it was because of their respect for Koba, their understanding that it had nothing to do with them, or thanks to the acceptance Caesar showed, no one knew, just like he didn't know the pain his acceptance caused for his old friend. Naturally, Haley didn't expect some sudden fit of jealousy from him, but the truth of their platonic friendship ailed her mercilessly as it stared her in the face. Still, disbelief shrouded her turmoil from her own notice as her marriage with Caesar's second in command granted her reverence in the eyes of the colony, despite her being human.

Behind leafy curtains, however, Haley and Koba took much longer to adjust to what they agreed upon, something Maurice privately and pointlessly advised her against, but after a year of neither of them ever lying to each other again, Haley subconsciously denied her feelings for their king and convinced herself that she loved Koba, him unwittingly playing along to the point where they really begun to care for each other, just in time for the announcement of Caesar expecting another child and for her then being able to congratulate him sincerely.

Sometimes, it's easier to lie to yourself after lying to others for so long.

Sighing with exasperation while she sat next to Maurice, the ape she almost always seemed to be around, she watched him as he paged through the human boy's sketchbook and felt worry nearly eating away at her mind, her animal-skin clothing feeling oddly tight thanks to her overwhelming fret for Koba's safety – Cornelia had been kind enough to help Haley create new clothing, so much better than the rags she wore before, but Haley had a faint and amused suspicion that it was the female ape's sly way of learning more about her husband from when he was young, this suspicion only growing after the two of them laughed at a few of her stories. "Koba is warrior, Haley," She watched Maurice sign, never moving his gaze off of the book, "will be fine." In the end, Koba was the only ape who still referred to Haley as 'human' instead of using her name, and, strangely enough, it grew to a term of endearment – a nickname he used and would never admit to using on purpose.

Haley only sighed at the orangutan's attempt to console her, never giving it a rest, and waved him off. It felt like forever before the party of apes that were tasked to follow the humans returned home, Haley's heart leaping with relief immediately. Maurice gave her a knowing look before she even had the chance to rise from the ground, justifying a playful glare from her before she stood and rushed to Koba at the entrance, resting her forehead against his quickly to welcome him back. "Worry too much." She heard him grumbling under his breath, but she merely shook her head and remained perfectly attached to him.

"You of all apes know what humans are capable of." She explained gravely, looking him close in his eye, "I have every right to be worried when anyone goes to the city after discovering that there are more humans out there."

"Human seemed pleased with humans arriving," He interrupted with a growing scowl, compelling Haley to lean back and send him a dumbfounded stare. For the longest time, she remained frozen by her shock before her gaze finally hardened, "What the heck gave you that—?"

Unfortunately, Caesar interrupted before anything could be resolved, never realizing he cut in. "Found others?" He asked behind Haley, compelling her to break contact with her mate and step out of the way so he could nod in confirmation, forcing Caesar's face to contort with disappointment, "Gather Ape Council."

Again Koba nodded and watched Caesar limp off before he gave Haley an almost apologetic look, making her raise her arms in defeat with an understanding smile. "I understand," She hummed halfheartedly and backed away, never daring to let anyone see her disappointment for being excluded from any important positions in the village, which she understood in a way, "I'll go check on Ash and keep Blue Eyes company while you renegades take care of your business," she joked and turned to leave, slipping away to the opposite end of the village from the great tree, only to discover Ash perfectly fine as he shooed his worried father and other apes away in embarrassment. "I got it from here, Rocket; the council is gathering anyway." She interjected and saw Rocket thanking her before he hesitantly slipped away – obviously, as Caesar's left, Rocket was also a member of the High Council, unlike the human girl and the two apes in front of her, them still being too young. "So," she chirped and motioned the two over, "shall we wait for the old apes to finish while we celebrate still being young and gorgeous?" Releasing a few amused hoots, her two friends followed her to their usual spot next to the foot of the tree, just a few steps away from where the council usually gathered above the school.

In the beginning, when Cornelia instinctively referred to Haley as her sister, Blue Eyes attempted to call Haley his aunt, but she immediately put a stop to that. After all, compared to apes, she was still young, growing slower than most there, so it felt weird – at least, that was the reason... right?