Fragile Friendships and Trust

[Unrevised. 5 Years Old. Prepare for inconsistencies with previous chapters.]

Rocket wasn't the smartest ape – almost everyone knew that much. That was why the troop went to Caesar or Maurice for answers instead of to him, the king's second: it was not just because of the other two's positions. Haley, however, respected the old bonobo more than most, maybe even more than she did Maurice, because, as soon as Caesar accepted and welcomed her, the "human female," to the village, Rocket did so unconditionally, unlike the others who simply followed commands and tolerated her. Of course, Cornelia and Maurice did the same, but Haley had the justified suspicion that they would have accepted her either way. Blue Eyes, Luca, Ash, and a few others do trust her now, but they only warmed up to her over time. Not only that, but it was Rocket, on his own, who decided to permit her outside the village and him who instructed her to shoot the bear near the entrance, which proved to the colony that she could become a hunter, unlike the other females. She regarded the ape as a strange uncle if nothing else and this consideration only grew each day, especially this day. Wise with the years he acceded Caesar, Rocket forced his pride and hatred aside and saved Carver, the human male who had shot his son. His retracted, skull-like nose remained furrowed with unattractive wrinkles that clearly said he partly regretted his decision, but still Haley felt proud of him – she was not that strong or loyal.

With a needlessly harsh and uncaring touch, Haley wrapped a bandage around Carver's scratched shin like Ellie instructed her to do, not blinking as the smeared blood on parts of his skin stained her fingertips. It might have been needless, she thought, but every time he flinched, she felt more satisfied, and by the looks Ellie was sending her, she knew the woman knew what she was doing. She still stood by the fact that she didn't want to help him at all, but she knew Ellie had to check on the others, so the choice to walk away wasn't tempting enough.

Before, it took close to an hour before Rocket and Ash found Carver underneath the rubble and, after another half an hour of getting him out of the warehouse, they all grouped next to the river to make sure everyone was unscathed or at least alive. Haley would never admit it out loud, but she thought it was pure luck that allowed them to survive, silently cursing Carver for having as much as he did. Yes, she really was nothing like Rocket. Drearily, she wondered, did Koba rub off on her a bit too much, but only to interrupt herself with the startling realization that she didn't want him to rub off on her – so why does she love him?

"Surprised you know how to do this much." Carver's scoff tore through Haley's thoughts, earning him a sideways look while she worked, though she was relieved that his burning glare finally spared the top of her head, "Thought you're just as disgustingly primitive as the apes."

Haley didn't flinch under his insults, nor did she show any reaction, but as she shifted her eyes back onto her hands and tied the ends of the bandage on his leg, she tied the knot with a purposeful, unsympathetic, and cruel tug that made him buck forward with a pained grunt before he scowled at her. "All done." She merely sang and stood, not paying enough attention to see Foster smirking her way, proud of her for getting back at Carver. Haley was almost excited to be able to join Malcolm and Caesar's undoubtedly stiff and boring conversation if it meant she didn't have to be around the ghastly man anymore. Nevertheless, before the chance arrived, a gentle and calming chuckle grabbed her attention, practically forcing her to turn around. Immediately, her lips broke into a gentle and soft smile that she thought she lost years ago – the sight of Cornelius standing on Alex's lap, discretely supported by the young man's hand, and of him innocently playing with Ellie's fingers made Haley's heart swell with warmth. The days where she slept in Maurice's arms and felt herself melt into the giant orangutan's caring embrace didn't compare with the feeling that overwhelmed her, slowly making her eyes creep up onto Caesar, who still stood by the horses while he watched the scene uneasily, as one would expect from a father. For a while, she wondered, did the same memory flash in his thoughts as the one in hers?