Three: Promise

[Name] was standing in front of the gymnasiums door.

You hate him. You hate him. You don't love him. He's an idiot. Remember what he said to you. You hate him.

You.

The girl clenched her grip on the handle.

Hate.

She pushed the door.

"Kuroo", she exclaimed as she saw the tall male standing in front of her, holding the handle from the other side.

He widened his eyes, not sure about what to say.

[Name], instead, knew what she wanted to say. She wanted to hug him and to talk to him about everything they didn't have a chance to talk about for the past few days. One day without him felt like eternity.

But then she recalled her resolution.

She confidently looked him in the eyes and demonstrably passed him. But his warmth and smell didn't help her. She wanted to stay beside him a little longer.

She cursed herself again for confessing to him.

If you hadn't done that, you could be close to him as always.

But now it wasn't the time to dwell up on her stupidity.

Everybody looked at [Name] with surprise. What happened between them?

The girl greeted everyone with a smile and sat down. She took out the notebook to have a pretext not to look at Kuroo, who was still standing at the entrance, aghast.

But what else was he expecting? Everybody would hate him after hearing what he said yesterday. He knew that would happen.

But still, seeing [Name] becoming distant from him was even more painful that he thought.

"Miya-chan, do you have free time after school?", [Name] was bending over a tall girl with curly brown hair.

"Geez, why are you always trying to scare me? It doesn't work when you do that all the time, y'know?", the girl said and turned around to look at her best friend.

[Name] smiled at her teasingly. Though she spent most of her time with the volleyball club, she also had a best friend.

She met her only just at high school during science project in their first year, for, even though they were the same age, they've never been in the same class.

Miya raised an eyebrow, and looked enquiringly at her friend.

"Don't fake a smile in front of me. Something is evidently bugging you".

"Osai! We'll be late for Maths if you don't hurry up", some girl's voice came from behind the classroom's door.

"Coming!", Miya turned her head in the exit's direction and gave [Name] a quick look. "Main entrance, after the lessons".

"What?! You confessed to Kuroo-san?", the loud voice of the girl spreaded through the cafe, drawing the attention of all the customers.

"Shh. Don't make that even more embarrassing", [Name] calmed down her friend, feeling the stares being locked on her.

"Sorry... It's just that I didn't expect that. What did he say?"

"He apologised", the girl looked down.

"Huh? What do you mean "apologised"?"

"He said that he doesn't feel the same, simply speaking".