»01

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO 'DON'T PLAY' BY HALSEY

TEA
CHAPTER 1

I WANT TO LEAVE, WERE the words Socks dreaded most. She raised her eyes at the teenager she was looking after, and then arched a brow. She had to act like she didn't care because she was the adult. Socks, or Nava, took a sip of her warm hot cocoa. Socks was on the run, along with Alice. S.H.I.E.L.D was chasing them; both girls had powers that the program believed they couldn't manage. They didn't know much about Alice by virtue of Socks, who kept her hidden. They didn't even know Alice's face, so Socks was like a beacon standing out and screaming that Alice was there. Socks couldn't really force her to stay, because she knew this would be for her safety.

It'd be unimaginably toilsome for Socks to let go and leave her at her new location; Alice would have to be an emancipated teen. Her parents had died, and the belief was that she had too. But she knew Alice was ready. And if Alice was ready, it was time.

Alice had the ability to freeze stuff with the touch of her hand, along with time, so that she was moving at an enhanced speed. Socks could move much faster than her, but that was all she was able to do besides fight. She did have senses in which she could hear danger coming for miles, and in some cases see it. And something else...
Alice could handle herself if she received a decent job, and Socks had an strong idea on where she could go.

"Okay," said Socks. "I'll relocate you to Queens..." Alice's eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. She thought Socks was letting her go too easily; there had to be something else. It was too simple. "Really? Just like that?"

"It's better for your safety," Socks admitted. "You can't live cooped up in this cabin with me your whole life. It's not healthy... And I think I know somebody who can help you out with school."

Alice left a week later.

"I love you, Nava." she had said in compassion and hugged her. The girl was only fourteen. But Socks knew the people she was sending her to would welcome her in like family, they didn't have much themselves.

And Alice was gone.

The cabin, which sat on a hill, was currently quiet. Socks found it boring just lying around. She was always up for something fun and risky, but nothing was coming her way, and she knew it. Even supermarket runs didn't require her running, because they seemed to give up looking for Socks, mainly because she wasn't exactly a mass-murderer and S.H.I.E.L.D had many other things to worry about.

So Socks could relax.

And that was boring.

Everything around her was boring, nothing excitable was present. She felt she had experienced everything possible in the world, and there was nothing left to do.